New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New Powermac G4 1.25GHz!!!!!! I want to upgrades!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EmperorZurg

EmperorZurg can only hope to improve

Hi there dudes!
I have just bought a PowerMac from ebay for 160!

Here is the item description:

Apple Power Mac G4 in Good Condition, few small scuffs to case.

Mirrored CD Drive Doors

Currently has Mac OS X Leopard Installed.

Two Hard Drives:
1x 200GB
1x 40GB

1.75GB RAM
1.25GHz Processor

No Screen, just Tower included in auction

I would like to upgrade the processor in this computer - an intel or xeon would be nice.

I would like to upgrade the sound card and maybe graphics too.

What are the the things that I could upgrade?

Could I put the processor that a mac pro has into the powermac?
I intel duo 2.5 or 3 GHz would be cool.

Thanks!
John.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A PowerMac G4 is a Power PC Machine which has nothing to do with X86 or Intel. CPU upgrades for the MDD are very few and very expensive. Maybe a Dual 1.42Ghz G4. You can't use a G5 either. You are pretty much stuck with what it is as far as CPU except for a small increase in clock and maybe a Dual G4.

The RAM is almost maxed but you can go to 2GB. It takes PC2700/3200 DDR SDRAM.

Video card you can get a Mac edition of certain Radeon cards (AGP and now old but better than what is in that machine stock). Sound card is fine and built in.

Anyway, sorry to not be the bearer of good news, but no Intel, No Snow Leopard since it's Intel only. Otherwise it's not a bad machine for general use.

Looks like you paid $230 USA Dollars if my conversion is right.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

What you got is what you got and it was top dollar. No processor upgrades alas and the only upgrades are memory to 2GB, a 7200 RPM HDD and say an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro graphic card and operating system Leopard OS X.5.8 is the limit.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
What you got is what you got and it was top dollar.
Yeah...I was thinking 160 was sort of expensive for this computer. But then I know computers (and many other things) cost a lot more in Great Britain (assuming that's where the OP is located).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Particularly Nick as OP states tower only, so assume no keyboard, mouse or system discs and it looks like he has got a single processor machine to boot. Sold mine a couple of months ago here down under 1.25DP FW800 model, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 Mac/PC graphics card, 7200RPM Seagate 250GB HDD, new Pioneer DL burner, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme cards fitted and running beautifully with Leopard, Leopard discs and original Panther install discs with Apple Hardware Test for £250!

Reason for sale as set out in my earlier post and needed faster machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble finding the cuda (pmu) switch on dual g4 (mirror doors) | Mac Mini connected to Sony HDTV »