G4 Hard Drive Upgrade
    Hello, I have a Power Mac G4 tower (533 MHz) and can't seem to get the drive utility to recognize a Hitachi DeckStar 40G IDE drive as a slave.

I plugged in a 20G Fujuitsu and it showed up right away.

The Deck Star's have an option for 15 or 16 cylinders. Would that be an issue?

The Apple Drive Utility and Disk Warrior cannot see the drive at all and I've tried 3 drives which were know to have worked in a Windows machine.

Please help.

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Can you test the drive (bare) via an IDE-USB adaptor kit?

On checking the rear end of a bare 80 Gb Hitachi external I use for storage, I note the jumpers set to vertical on both Master (0) and Slave (1) on the two end pin sets (two middle sets not used). I did not put those jumpers there, the drive simply worked with its present arrangement. The drive came from a Win machine, and needed reformatting.

There is facility to arrange the jumpers horizontally, with descriptions I don't begin to understand.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Further update. Took the drive that would not work and moved it to the other IDE buss (DVD Drive), and it was recognized right away.

Anyone had trouble with the Fujitsu (Apple OEM) drives not "liking" the other drives?

Thread Information