New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini connected to Sony HDTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bigrahizzle

Bigrahizzle is on a distinguished road

Guys i just ordered a Mac Mini and i was wondering what i needed to connect it to my 46" Sony Bravia. I have seen some video son youtube but they arent as straight forward. So if anybody could point me in the direction of what to get in order to connect it to my HDTV it would be grateful.
QUOTE Thanks
Bigrahizzle

No one!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Need model # of the Sony.

Do you want sound from the Sony or through a separate stereo/surround receiver?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Bigrahizzle

its a bravia 46 inch XBR9 i want sound from the sony at the moment
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Get back to you later today in this same post, must head out to the daily grind.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You must use HDMI 1 on the TV.

Then you'll need a stereo mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA cable for the audio - example.

QUOTE Thanks
Bigrahizzle

OK cool, thanks. I figured it would be that so i went to Radio Shack and picked it up.

What should i do about the fonts and stuff like that, looks real small and stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

First off, that's going to be fairly subjective and will have a great deal to do with how far you're sitting away from the set.

As I immensely dislike OS X's font rendering when displayed on large, low resolution monitors, I gave up very quickly on using my Mac connected to a HDTV for anything except watching videos. 'The' primary reason I use a Win7 machine for my HTPC. So, I won't be much help here.

You can try using a 720 resolution instead of 1080 from your computer to make everything larger. You can also go into Safari Preferences (and other individual apps as well) and set up the minimum font size much larger - I use 12 on my 15" MBP.

You can also turn on the magnifier and use it when you need; "option command 8" to turn it on and off, then "option command =" to make the screen larger and "option command -" to bring it back to normal.

QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

In addition to bobtomay, I can speak from experience.

You can get a cable like this.
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

It allows you to choose 1080p, 1080i and a couple other resolutions.

If you have a receiver that allows it, you can also select that you want audio to go through an optical cable.

You will need this.
Amazon.com: 6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable: Musical Instruments

I have my Mac Mini connect to my receiver on the AUX source via HDMI and Optical cable.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

Make sure you set your TV to overscan so you can get the whole image on your TV.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Sorry, I forgot the video cable - forget the adapter and separate HDMI cable - head over to monoprice.com and get a mini display port to HDMI cable in the length you need.

And just FYI: The adapter has nothing to do with what resolutions you are allowed to select. That will have to do with the EDID info that is passed from the TV to the computer.

QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

Im not an expert in displays, but when I tried a VGA cable, the largest resolution it allowed me was 1600 x something, cant remember. I also didnt mean that with that specific adapter you'd be able to get 1080 exclusively, I just meant it gives you the option.

Tech Inventory:
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

And I'm just letting you know, that adapter had nothing to do with providing you the option of getting 1080p. That option was provided by using a HDMI port instead of the VGA port on that particular TV.

While different cables do have varying capabilities, what you are experiencing connecting to your TV has to do with the resolution capability of the ports you are connecting to, not the adapter, nor the cable.

You can open up the User Guide for your TV, and if it's any of the major manufacturers it will have a section providing the resolutions it's VGA port is capable of. Many TV's do not provide a full range of resolutions via their VGA port like you would see on a computer monitor. Just one of those places where they scrimp to save another 20 cents.

Whatever your particular TV is capable of via VGA, would have absolutely no bearing on another brand or even within the same brand on different year models they changed so much. Many widescreen TV's still only provide a 4:3 aspect ratio available via their VGA port instead of 16:9.

The resolutions available from a monitor/TV are transmitted to the device via what is called EDID.
You can read about it in the Wiki here.

QUOTE Thanks
Bigrahizzle

THanks for the info guys!!!!!

But i went with a setup of getting a mini dvi to HDMI and then going with a 3.5 mm jack to RCA.

I have it set to overscan and the resolution to 1080i. When i change it to 1080p the screen gets way tooo big. I dont know why maybe someone can tell me what im doing wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

Thanks for the clarification. It's always good to learn something new.

Tech Inventory:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Powermac G4 1.25GHz!!!!!! I want to upgrades!!! | Power mac g5 »