New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

upgrades for 933 g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

I've got a 933 g4 in the garage and was wondering if there are any cheap upgrades worth doing? It has 1.25 gigs of ram, upgradeable to 1.5 so i'll do that. But a question on ram I have 2 512's and a 256, one of the 512 is ecc is there a possibility that is giving me a performance hit? This computer is only used as to listen to itunes and light surfing in the garage so I'm not expecting anything major for performance increase, but any little bit will help.

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I bought the same setup a while back, and really the only things worth touching are the RAM and HDDs. The processor, video card, and other central components aren't really worth the cost to upgrade, because the mother board will always be the bottleneck.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

You can do quite a bit via the PCI slots ... 4 - 64-bit 33 MHz PCI, 1 - 4x AGP. That last one may already be occupied for the video out, but you could try a faster, better graphics card in one of the empty PCI slots.

You can upgrade to USB2 via a PCI card as well, not expensive.

There are 4 - internal 3.5" ATA drive bays, 1 - optical drive bay, and 1 - Zip 250 bay. Plenty of potential there, but it'd be more a hobby exercise than anything.

I agree with Jeff, the processor is what you're stuck with, and an upgrade with a ZIF card would cost you more than the G4 is worth, giving you minimal speed increase into the bargain!

Check Accelerate Your Macintosh!, also Low End Mac: Worth It!, for further advice about upgrading older PowerMac machines.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmill View Post
I've got a 933 g4 in the garage and was wondering if there are any cheap upgrades worth doing?
Depends on what you consider "cheap"! Define cheap?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 PowerPC keeps shutting down, no reason! | Power Mac G4 Problem »