New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 Upgrade Need Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jlawn

jlawn is on a distinguished road

I am currently on a power G4 dual 450, running 10.4.11, with 1G RAM. Dual-display but not enough VRam to run Logic, let alone crawling with my adobe CS4 suite. In addition, this OS will not support blackberry desktop manager with my (new) Tour 9630.

Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.6? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.

Believe me I wish I could afford to scrap this thing and upgrade, but she has been a great machine since 02, reliable... and I recently wiped the entire drive and the 2nd drive I installed. So basically looking to optimize now that the machine is 'fresh'. I want some advice on exactly what to do next... thanks a lot!

Display specs >

Chipset Model: ATY,LT-C
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-B
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4c49
Revision ID: 0x00dc
ROM Revision: 113-54104-103
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 8-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5046
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-72701-125
Displays:
DELL E156FP:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
I
Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.5.5? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.
To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks a lot nick. I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5? I am in a good position to do that now, since I recently wiped my startup drive. I have a very minimal amount of software that I use, and I generally keep a clean house. This is why a used machine would work well for me....

Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?
QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.
yeah.... it is absolutely sluggish and sucks. I have to use this software very carefully ... to say the least. Thanks I will look into this
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5?
It is absolutely impossible to upgrade to 10.6 on a G4. 10.6 requires an Intel CPU.

As far as finding a used G5. If you're located in the United States, e-Bay or Craig's List.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

Quote:
Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?
If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac.
Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.
Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

- Nick
Yeah tower, I know... it would be tough to fit this internal hard drive into an iMac Also since the startup drive is only 20G I probably won't pull that one.... my 2nd drive is about 130G so worth yanking.

Thanks you guys are extremely helpful. Time to kick this to the curb... she's had a good ride.

Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
[I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]

QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
[I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]
How bout one? yeah absoFinlutely. You mean 2.5 ghz per processor, as opposed to the aforementioned 1.8 ghz per processor, correct? yeah i am basically looking for as much speed/power as possible. storage i am good on for now.

This optical is the 3rd one i've had in here, and it's about fried... it will read cdr, won't read dvd, will import, won't burn... believe it or not it is sitting on top of a freakin ZIP drive. This machine looks like my first car. but... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
You mean 2.5 ghz per processor
PowerPC 970MP (G5)
Cores - 2 per processor
2.0, 2.3, or dual 2.5 GHz
Max RAM - 16 GB
HD - 160, 250, or 500 GB 7200-rpm
[source: Mactracker]

Where you might find one has already been mentioned. You could also look in M-F Buy/Sell/Trade. We don't use eBay or Craigslist in NZ, too much hassle with international shipping.

I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.

Quote:
This machine looks like my first car. But... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too
Fellow-feeling. Off-topic, but I drive a Toyota Hilux diesel - 22 years old this year, 260 000 km, and still going strong-ish! Owes me nothing.

QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.
I am not sure... I know that I am using on this machine now - Adobe CS4, and I am looking to use Logic 8, but do not have the VRam required. Aside from the office software/entourage... this is all I really need when I jump to a new machine.

What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??
Quote:
What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?
Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
jlawn

Quote:
Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

- Nick
I am trying not to spend more than $1000, I realize that puts me only in the used machine bracket.... what else can you tell me? I don't know if I even need a pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Missing Hard Drive Space... | Just Bought a Used iMac G5. »