New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

buy new or repair & upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tubaobu

tubaobu is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I have a mac mini with OS 10.4.11 , processor 1.83 GHz intel core duo and memory 2GB 667 MhZ DDR2 SDRAM.
My dvd burner and player recently totaly let me down after having acted funny for a while. As the machine itself is still working fairly fine, i enquired about replacing DVD burner and while i'm at it, maybe upgrade to the new OS system.
But it seems the whole thing would cost me about 350 when a new mini would be around 500. So what is worth doing?
i'm not an expert when it comes to processors and stuff but, would a new computer be better? is my machine that out of date?
If I were to buy a new one, would there be a way to "connect" the two machine so that i could one more for photos and movie editing and the other one for music without having to plug & unplug to a screen?
thanks a lot in advance for advice or opinion,
much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If all you really want to do is repair your Mac Mini...you could purchase an external DVD drive, and you would be good to go.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tubaobu

Hi I had thought of that, but i had bought the mini because it's small and tidy, didn't really feel like adding another piece on my desk (already have external HD).
plus quite felt like getting the new OS.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaobu View Post
Hi I had thought of that, but i had bought the mini because it's small and tidy, didn't really feel like adding another piece on my desk (already have external HD).
plus quite felt like getting the new OS.
It sounds like you know what you want to do. Just get the new mini. You might even be able to sell your old one for parts or to someone who doesn't want/need the disc drive.
QUOTE Thanks
tubaobu

yes, I know what i want. new drive + new Os. really, question was if it's better to get new mini (is it better?) or repair & upgrade.
anyone know anything about the 2d part of the question? connecting the 2 minis together?
thanks for your quick input pigoo3 & MYmacRox... really appreciate
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You didn't give your location...but it sounds like you're in Europe somewhere.

You can purchase an external DVD drive for $64.99 here in the U.S.:

OWC Value Line USB2.0/1.1 SuperDrive up to 2... (VLU2SD22X) at OWC

Not sure what it would cost you on your end. But this would be the the lowest cost option.

You haven't really said that you NEED a newer & faster computer...a low cost option like an external DVD drive may make the most sense, although it will take up a bit more space (but your Mini & the external drive could be stacked) to save space.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
macguy57366

macguy57366 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature.

I'm not quite sure if you can. If they both have Firewire or Ethernet on it, then most definitely. If you already have an external HD, depending on what size it is, you could just back everything you need to move up there.

Zach H.
PowerMac G4 AGP graphics, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, 10GB HD, 802.11g network card, 400 MHz PowerPC processor, 500GB Western Digital External HD hooked up on FW400
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I would buy a new mini. It looks as if the repair is going to cost close to the cost of a new machine, so I would buy a new mini.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did I break it? | Memory / Ram »