New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is this normal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

I got a new 27" core 2 iMac and I feel like it has extremely slow download and save speeds. It took about 30 minutes to install MS Office update. It also took about 30 minutes to download 128MB printer file. These seem real slow to me especially compared to my old pc laptop which is real out of date but never this slow.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

How's your internet connection today?

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_O_P12 View Post
I got a new 27" core 2 iMac and I feel like it has extremely slow download and save speeds. It took about 30 minutes to install MS Office update. It also took about 30 minutes to download 128MB printer file. These seem real slow to me especially compared to my old pc laptop which is real out of date but never this slow.
More info is helpful as we cannot see your setup. Is this wireless or ethernet, modem or modem/router, how many units using the connection to ISP
QUOTE Thanks
Hemmlock

Hemmlock is an unknown at this point

I was forced to switch to Mac for work - these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort. Get used to being unhappy. I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it. Also got a 1tb time capsule - I'll tell you, the half-a-billion these folks spend on advertising each year sure makes up for a lackluster product.Keeps telling me:

"AirPort Utility found a Time Capsule (Simultaneous Dual-Band II) that is reporting problems.

This Time Capsule is already set up and is not reporting any problems."

Huh??

Machine keeps crashing when using Microsoft Word (I know...I know!! It's not a Mac product but unfortunately it's the industry standard in publishing -- got no choice).

Junk. Take it back. Get a PC.

Or get used to wanting to Elvis the thing with a gold club...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmlock View Post
I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it.

If you don't want that 27" iMac...I'll take it. I'll send you my shipping address via PM, and I'll send you the cost for shipping via Paypal.

I'm always willing to help out a fellow Mac User!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort.
That's a unique generalization.

Quote:
No thanks, I like my Mac too much.

-

Anyways, have you thought about getting your problems diagnosed instead of dogging that very generous gift? I would have been tickled pink to get one of those for Christmas. Yes, everyone's experience is different, and Macs have their share of problems just as Windows machines do. No such thing as the perfect computer. With that said, I have been very happy with mine, and it's well over a year old.

I must ask though, why were you forced into getting a Mac?

QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Rimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was forced to switch to Mac for work - these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort. Get used to being unhappy. I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it. Also got a 1tb time capsule - I'll tell you, the half-a-billion these folks spend on advertising each year sure makes up for a lackluster product.Keeps telling me:

"AirPort Utility found a Time Capsule (Simultaneous Dual-Band II) that is reporting problems.

This Time Capsule is already set up and is not reporting any problems."

Huh??

Machine keeps crashing when using Microsoft Word (I know...I know!! It's not a Mac product but unfortunately it's the industry standard in publishing -- got no choice).

Or get used to wanting to Elvis the thing with a gold club...
Your experiences don't represent any experiences i've had with any of my Macs. Just so you know that what you are experiencing is not the norm..

Regards. Rimmer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Kernel Panic- Help | logit 7.2 for G4 »