New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Questions, Questions, got some more questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

braveliltoasted

braveliltoasted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Power PC G4 10.5.8

So I just bought on ebay a 2 disc set. It's mac os x leopard 10.5.6. On both cd's it says macbook. I am using an iMac powerpc g4, will these discs work to reinstall leopard on my computer? Also, the second disc says applications on it, do I need to install both discs? Sorry for not knowing a whole lot but thanks for all the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

No these discs will not work because the discs are machine specific.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First, you could put something in the title pertaining to your question.
Some folks quit even looking at new threads with titles like that which limits the amount of help available to you.

Second, they probably will not work. If they have MacBook marked on the label, sounds like they are the grey discs that ship with the computers and will not work at all on your G4.

Just curious here, but, why did you wait until after you bought them before asking if they would work?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
braveliltoasted

Well the guy I bought them from in the title for the Item it said Mac OS x 10.5.6 leopard for iMac so that's why I bought it. I e-mailed him and he said they would work, if not I can return them for a refund to get what I really need. Plus-I'm not exactly an ebay genius so yeah.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveliltoasted View Post
Well the guy I bought them from in the title for the Item it said Mac OS x 10.5.6 leopard for iMac so that's why I bought it. I e-mailed him and he said they would work, if not I can return them for a refund to get what I really need. Plus-I'm not exactly an ebay genius so yeah.
Return them! Grey "MacBook" discs will not work on a G4 iMac.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are no 10.5 grey discs that will work on any PPC Mac. All of them will only have the Intel drivers.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
First, you could put something in the title pertaining to your question.
Some folks quit even looking at new threads with titles like that which limits the amount of help available to you.
Exactly!

I just stopped in to say this is the finest example of the most unhelpful topic title I have ever seen.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I recommend doing a little research before you purchase in the future.
Yes im a skeptic, and i would eat my hat if you can return them and get a refund.

Considering this bloke told you that they worked. Hmmmmm

Good luck is all i can say

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
braveliltoasted

Yeah they didn't work. I know I know I'm not very smart at this entire mac, mac forums, life deal. Oh well, I'm pretty much new to it all anyway. So does anyone know what discs that I should get in order to re-install the OS?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

You need the retail version. The color is a dead giveaway. The disc is black, and it has a big X on it.

We all learn by our mistakes. Biggest one I've made, in terms of cost, was $500.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5 - Full Retail Install! - eBay (item 250562705097 end time Jan-17-10 19:10:59 PST)

There is one for you. You need OSX 10.5 Retail.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

I see that I neglected to mention that others have reported buying Leopard directly from Apple. You won't see it advertised, but on the website Apple Store page, there should be a toll free number somewhere. Call it, and ask if they have any left.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro Video Card Problems | Having trouble figuring out the basics »