New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

YouTube on iMac G3

Thread Closed

awhitmore

awhitmore is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to play YouTube or any videos on a standard iMac G3, or are the Processor and Graphics Card to slow to play them.
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Depending on the specs, Flash would be brutal on that machine. Knowing what I do of G3's though, I don't think you're going to find suitable performance on any of them. What are the specs of the machine?

EDIT: After looking around, it looks like the fastest iMac G3 was the Summer 2001 model (PowerMac4,1) and it could have had a 700Mhz G3. At that speed, don't expect amazing performance with YouTube. To add to my initial inquiry, what OS are you using and how much RAM do you have? It will be easier to make an assessment with that info.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
awhitmore

awhitmore is on a distinguished road

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, its the early 2001 model with 500Mhz, 512mb Ram soon to be 1Gb, and its running MAC OS X 10.4.11.
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It will be the graphics in that old G3 that will really cause uTube video to crawl, they only had 8 – 16 meg of Vram, a very low spec for any sort of video

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

You're not going to get very good performance with Flash on that machine unless you use a really old version which will also be bad as many sites require newer versions of Flash to be installed.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

As said before, youtube is not going to be pretty. It will be choppy and slow and it's just generally not going to run well.

Use the reputation system
In_Correct

In_Correct can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Lots Of G3s. So What.

You are all In-Correct. You can use applications such as Miro for example to wach YouTube. I am going to try that now.
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Miro requires OS 10.4 minimum.

I run a G3 iMac 600/1 Gb RAM/Panther/Flash 9, and believe me (and many dozens of others), video is not good. The only browser that seems to accommodate YouTube is FFox, which is processor-hungry anyway, and even when allowing the video to load fully before playback, the motion is jerky.

There is a workaround. Download YouTube in .flv format and play it through Quicktime. You'll need the Pro version of QT (I don't use the standard version). You can then save the video in .mov format if you wish.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
You are all In-Correct. You can use applications such as Miro for example to wach YouTube. I am going to try that now.
WOW...you created the username "In Correct"...just to make that one post??? Strange!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I don't even think HTML 5 will run on that. I have a G4 running at 500MHz and even a G4 with AGP graphics- scary things happen.

As for the um, user who is pretty much "incorrect"you've just contradicted yourself dude!

Weird.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
In_Correct

I always knew that older macs can play videos...some of them have DVD drives and there is software, even for OS 9 such as "DVD Player". Also, many computer games can run very well on Mac OS X and Mac OS 9, but not very well in Classic Environment.

I have downloaded Miro and to download Youtube Videos, you must load Miro, go to the menu bar, click on "sidebar", and then "add website", and type in the URL for Youtube. A Youtube link will now show up under the Websites category. Click it and Youtube will load like it would in an internet browser. The video will play automatically. PAUSE IT. There should be a link on top (not on the website...on the Miro player) that says "Download Video". Check your download settings and then click on the Download button. Wait for it to download and click play when it is finished.

You must keep your computer still when the video is playing. Don't do anything else...don't click on anything else...you don't have to close everything out except Miro, but you can't click on anything while the video is playing or it will not be smooth.

Otherwise the video will run perfectly. I know because I have downloaded Miro and played my first downloaded YouTube video successfully on it. I have multiple imac G3s.

Miro will need OS X. It will not run on OS 9 and I don't know of any Free FLV players for OS 9.

Hope this helps. Have A Good Day.
vansmith

Quote:
You must keep your computer still when the video is playing. Don't do anything else...don't click on anything else...you don't have to close everything out except Miro, but you can't click on anything while the video is playing or it will not be smooth.
See, there is a difference between playing and playing well. Although it may play well, you have to accommodate the lack of hardware power. There is no reason that you should have to stop doing everything just to play a video. If you have to do this, your machine doesn't handle video well.

Writing a Quality Post
In_Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
WOW...you created the username "In Correct"...just to make that one post??? Strange!
No, that is my name all over the internet. I picked it because of In-Correct information on the tv dot com website and I continued to use it on other websites. The hyphen was required because somebody already signed up on TV dot com as "incorrect". Sometimes I use variations like In_Correct and In__Correct.

If you don't believe me, run an internet search on "In_Correct".

I also happen to like to point out things that are In-Correct.... such as you people contradicting yourselves while attempting to say that I was contradicting myself.
In_Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
See, there is a difference between playing and playing well. Although it may play well, you have to accommodate the lack of hardware power. There is no reason that you should have to stop doing everything just to play a video. If you have to do this, your machine doesn't handle video well.
This is all true about the hardware, but it can still be done. I thought it was impossible before. Playing it directly on the website with the web browsers while downloading the video at the same time is terrible in comparisson as using an application..
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
This is all true about the hardware, but it can still be done. I thought it was impossible before. Playing it directly on the website with the web browsers while downloading the video at the same time is terrible in comparisson as using an application..
You need to go back to high school and learn a few things about properly communicating on the internet. That's all I have to say about this.

When you use a Mac, you expect things to be simple. And doing what you're suggesting, frankly, isn't simple.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4

Thread Closed

« Desktop Space Question | Wireless Keyboard Problem »