New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Airport extreme card wireless problem..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jay2k6ie

jay2k6ie is on a distinguished road

I have an old G5 power pc running Leopard. I have wireless access in my house so I decided to buy an airport extreme card to access it from my bedroom.

I soon found out I needed an antenna to pickup the network after installing the extreme card. I checked out the apple T antenna which even second hand is stupidly expensive for what it is so I went and bought an SMA connector for the wireless antenna port and seperately bought a 7dBi 2.4Ghz antenna with an SMA connection.

I have since installed the antenna but I am still not picking up any wireless networks..? I have a pc laptop in the same room and I have no problem picking up my network.

Im totally out of ideas now I dont know what im supposed to do. Is there something simple im not doing here. Is there an installation process I need to go through with an airport utility? I didnt think there would be I thought it was pretty much plug and play.

The extreme card definitly works because I moved the G5 right beside the router downstairs and I could pickup the wireless network (this was without an antenna also)

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Ive tried connecting by going to 'join other network' and inputting the network name and password myself but I keep getting 'connection timeout' aftera few seconds?
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2k6ie View Post
anyone?
Need to know the specs (CPU speed & if it's a dual processor or dual-core) on your computer.

There are significant hardware differences in the G5 line...which can make the answers different.

One thing you didn't mention...when you installed the Airport Extreme card into the computer...did you plug the antenna wire from the motherboard into the card itself?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Need to know the specs (CPU speed & if it's a dual processor or dual-core) on your computer.

There are significant hardware differences in the G5 line...which can make the answers different.

One thing you didn't mention...when you installed the Airport Extreme card into the computer...did you plug the antenna wire from the motherboard into the card itself?

- Nick
Thanks Nick. Its a 'Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5' running 10.5.8. When I installed the airport extreme card I did plug the antenna wire into the card. It is definitly secured correctly. I can sometimes pickup the wirelesss network but when I try connect im just getting ' connection timeout'..
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

What happened to the standard built in antenna? One here for less than $30 and that is very cheap:-

Airport Extreme Antenna for G5 Tower $28.77
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you plug in the antenna lead(leads) into the AE card correctly?
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you plug in the antenna lead(leads) into the AE card correctly?
Yes Travis all is connected correctly! Im picking up a full signal now from my wireless network but when I try connect and enter the WPA password I get 'connection timeout' still!?..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Yes Travis all is connected correctly! The connection timeout thing is still baffling me..
I did not see that last line in your other post.

It sure seems like the antenna jack is not working. When you move it right by your Wifi Router, does it connect and surf the web?

If you have a digital voltmeter or even analog for that matter, set it to the low ohms range and test the cable from the AE card to the Antenna Jack and see if it's working.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Are you seeing this;

Click for full size

in the Menubar? It indicates signal strength but if Network is Password protected you will get connection time out when u try to join.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes Travis all is connected correctly! Im picking up a full signal now from my wireless network but when I try connect and enter the WPA password I get 'connection timeout' still!?..
I'm not really sure what sort of antenna you are using...or if it's even compatible with a G5 or Airport Extreme card.

If you installed the Airport Extreme card correctly, and you DON'T have the "white T-Shaped" Apple antenna...I would recommend getting one.

Yes they are expensive...but they get the job done!

When the G5 desktops were first released...they had airport connection problems. That's why Apple came up with the white T-Shaped antenna.

As far as the WPA password issue...this may be something to do with your wireless router setup...and not anything to do with your airport extreme card install or the desktops antenna.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I did not see that last line in your other post.

It sure seems like the antenna jack is not working. When you move it right by your Wifi Router, does it connect and surf the web?

If you have a digital voltmeter or even analog for that matter, set it to the low ohms range and test the cable from the AE card to the Antenna Jack and see if it's working.
I dont have a voltmeter unfortunatly.. When I moved it right beside the router I got full signal and I could connect to the internet.

Just a moment ago I decided to open safari and go through 'network diagnostics' route.. I join the network enter my password and I can connect to the internet with full antenna signal for a few minutes and then it seems to drop on me..
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Are you seeing this;

Click for full size

in the Menubar? It indicates signal strength but if Network is Password protected you will get connection time out when u try to join.
I dont have any bars on that although when I double click it I can see the network I want to join to.

When I try connect to the network by opening safari and going through their 'network diagnostics' path when it doesnt detect an internet connection, I eneter my password and then the signal (from your image) goes to full strength.. I can browse fine for a few minutes and then it seems to drop..?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
When I moved it right beside the router I got full signal and I could connect to the internet.
This pretty much confirms that the antenna is the problem. Definitely get the Apple T-shaped antenna...and you should be good to go!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
I'm not really sure what sort of antenna you are using...or if it's even compatible with a G5 or Airport Extreme card.

If you installed the Airport Extreme card correctly, and you DON'T have the "white T-Shaped" Apple antenna...I would recommend getting one.

Yes they are expensive...but they get the job done!

When the G5 desktops were first released...they had airport connection problems. That's why Apple came up with the white T-Shaped antenna.

As far as the WPA password issue...this may be something to do with your wireless router setup...and not anything to do with your airport extreme card install or the desktops antenna.

HTH,

- Nick
Instead of buying apples expensive T antenna I just made my own which should work better considering the antenna I bought has a higher dBi than the apple one. To connect the antenna I bought to the G5 I bought a small little copper adapter that screws on to my antenna and fits perfectly in the back of the G5 where the T antenna would fit in..
QUOTE Thanks
jay2k6ie

Quote:
This pretty much confirms that the antenna is the problem. Definitely get the Apple T-shaped antenna...and you should be good to go!

- Nick
Do you think this would cause the intermittent signal im getting? Theres no reason why the apple antenna should work its just an antenna they all work the same way..

The antennas I bought are standard specs for wireless networks as I'd imagine the apple T antenna is also so theres no reason I can see why they wouldnt work..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Older Mac Pro vs. New iMac question | Mac Mini G4 sound and internet problems »