New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

OS X Wont Load!! HELP!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
thelostchinese

 
thelostchinese's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11
thelostchinese has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken

thelostchinese is offline
So I've got an old PowerMac G4 (actually it's my church's..but whatever). They were having problems with it, so my first idea was to wipe everything and reinstall Tiger. Done. Or so I thought. Whenever I start up, it just sits on the gray screen for a while, then says something to the effect of "You must restart the computer. Hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen turns blank".

I've tried multiple harddisks and have installed tiger on about 4 different ones now, but none will ever load after installation. Any Ideas? Please help
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

 
FasterPussyCat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 07, 2009
Posts: 164
FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

FasterPussyCat is offline
Dear thelostchinese,

As an individual raised in the Age of Multiculturalism (the 90's) and well studied in national and ethnic sociocultural identity here in the US and abroad, particularly SE Asia. Might I suggest you would find greater and more willing assistance in all matters and in any venue of life if you did not advertise (or hyperlink) your own battle with temperamental development with the use of such phrases as "Check out this weird black dude" on your website

Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
thelostchinese

 
thelostchinese's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11
thelostchinese has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken

thelostchinese is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
Dear thelostchinese,

As an individual raised in the Age of Multiculturalism (the 90's) and well studied in national and ethnic sociocultural identity here in the US and abroad, particularly SE Asia. Might I suggest you would find greater and more willing assistance in all matters and in any venue of life if you did not advertise (or hyperlink) your own battle with temperamental development with the use of such phrases as "Check out this weird black dude" on your website

Thank You

...That has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. If you don't want to help my with my problem because of it, then simply don't. If you have a problem with the website, it should be handled by emailing the web-admin of the website.

Furthermore, "weird" and "black" are not derogatory terms and therefore I have no reason to remove them. If there is any doubt that the man was in fact black, maybe, but I'm sure anyone would agree that he is. The term weird is my opinion of him, and since it is not racist or hurtful, I have the right to use it.

Lastly, the website is only a side project. If I get a few hundred hits, awesome. If I get only get one, no big deal. If you don'y like what I say, then don't visit it. I'm not trying to increase traffic, just giving people a better idea of who I am by giving them another way to contact me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,639
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostchinese View Post
So I've got an old PowerMac G4 (actually it's my church's..but whatever). They were having problems with it, so my first idea was to wipe everything and reinstall Tiger. Done. Or so I thought. Whenever I start up, it just sits on the gray screen for a while, then says something to the effect of "You must restart the computer. Hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen turns blank".

I've tried multiple harddisks and have installed tiger on about 4 different ones now, but none will ever load after installation. Any Ideas? Please help
Have you tried to boot it from the original install disk and run the Apple hardware test?

It sounds like you have a bad logic board. If it is, it should show up with the hardware test. If it turns out to be a bad board, a new hard drive nor reinstallation of Tiger is going to fix it. With a machine that old it may be best to retire it and have your church buy a new one instead. Replacing the logic board would cost more than the machine is worth.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,510
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostchinese View Post
...That has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. If you don't want to help my with my problem because of it, then simply don't. If you have a problem with the website, it should be handled by emailing the web-admin of the website.

Furthermore, "weird" and "black" are not derogatory terms and therefore I have no reason to remove them. If there is any doubt that the man was in fact black, maybe, but I'm sure anyone would agree that he is. The term weird is my opinion of him, and since it is not racist or hurtful, I have the right to use it.

Lastly, the website is only a side project. If I get a few hundred hits, awesome. If I get only get one, no big deal. If you don'y like what I say, then don't visit it. I'm not trying to increase traffic, just giving people a better idea of who I am by giving them another way to contact me.
Speaking of relevance, why is it relevant that the "weird dude" is African-American? By using that adjective, in conjunction with "weird", I can certainly see why FasterPussyCat is offended. I went ahead and removed the URL from your sig. Until you make your blog a little more PC, please don't link to it in your sig or otherwise. As is clearly stated in our Community Guidelines:

Quote:
Play nice.
Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

Post appropriately.
This is a community of all types of people. Donít use profanity, including masked words, or post anything thatís lewd or inappropriate for a large community. If you wouldnít see it in a Disney movie, donít post it here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Imac G5 Damaged Logic Board | Lightning! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Possible DNS issue, safari & firefox fail to load 'some' websites greyshade OS X - Operating System 6 02-28-2010 12:21 PM
Powerbook - can't load OS nolgster Apple Notebooks 2 11-07-2009 03:30 PM
Strange problem: websites time out on Leopard iMac...but load on PC!? MMM Web Design and Hosting 18 01-11-2008 12:01 AM
Some webssites take a long time to load or never load at all.. nemonicx Switcher Hangout 4 07-24-2006 06:27 AM
apps wont load with reinstall sadida31 OS X - Operating System 1 07-05-2006 02:19 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?