New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Reinstall

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

framer

framer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.9, 16 GB Ram; fusion; iPad 2; iPhone 5, Macbook (silver), Macbook (black)

Hi: My iMac seems quite sluggish, and I'm wondering if a reinstall of Snow Leopard would speed things up. Any advice/thoughts will be appreciated.
2.4GHz; 4GB of RAM
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea with SL you can do a re-install which by default will Archive and Install...
But have you tried other fixes yet, as Repair Disk Permissions.
I recommend the A&I only if trouble shooting hasnt worked for you..
Can you give examples as to the meaning of "sluggish" and have you tried troubleshooting ??

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
framer

Mac Specs: iMac 2.9, 16 GB Ram; fusion; iPad 2; iPhone 5, Macbook (silver), Macbook (black)

Yes, I've tried the permissions route. Sluggish" the pinwheel spins almost every time I open an app.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea well if you have backed up your HD to a Ext HD, go ahead and drop in the SL disk and in 40 mins you will back with us, with no spinning wheel ..
It will speed things up BC what you are doing is putting it in clean.
But back up and they say to repair permissions and empty trash before install and after the install repair permissions again .....

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Yes, I've tried the permissions route. Sluggish" the pinwheel spins almost every time I open an app.
What's running in the background? Have you opened your Activity Monitor to see if anything is eating up your memory and the CPU?

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app

Reinstalling is a drastic step and may not resolve the problem.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Reinstalling a UNIX-based OS is rarely necessary. This is a habit that many of us bring from Windows, but it's usually not necessary. There are lots of things you can do to improve the performance. Start here and let us know how you make out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
framer

Thanks to all! A combination of your various advice, along with the app MainMenu, has solved my problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine Won't Recognize External Hard Drive | Buying a used PowerMac G5....PCI-E or PCI-X »