New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Thinking of trading my imac for a mac pro...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tarmac_Ninja

Tarmac_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM

sorry i am not too knowledged in the mac pro universe. so if this question sounds noobish i apologize. i have a 27inch imac that i am thinking about hopefully trading or selling to get a mac pro. the mac pro i am looking at is a 2007 variant and am wondering if the gtx285 or the ati4870 will work in it. i dont boot camp but do run parallels 5.0 for programming when not in xcode. the videocard is for gaming and photo/movie editing. i want something that will be proficient in both environments. thanks for the imput in advance.

I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...
QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

also it will be coupled with either 2x24inch apple led's or one 30inch...

I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I am IMac user only since the 14 of December, so I am a long way from guru-dom so take any advice in that context. I assume that you want the Pro because of the expansion capablity. From the charts there isn't that much horsepower difference between the Pros and the new IMacs.

My IMac is an i7 and I definitely overbought. I can run OSX, Linux and Windows in Parallels and several other desktops of ordinary OSX apps at the same time with no lag at all and very little showing in the Activity Monitor CPU bar. And the graphics for games in BootCamp is the best I have ever seen. Almost photo quality.

Since you have a 27" your Mac is new, so why do you want to change (upgrade?). Just curious.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

i dont like the heat that the imac generates, it constantly freezes and i hate turning my fans up. the heat will eventually deteriorate the components, or so i'm told. also i wanted a slightly better gaming card, plus the expansion capabilities.

QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

also i dont mind buying a new mac pro, which eventually i might do in this case. was just looking to save a little money with a refurbed one.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine - No back up Volume to Select/Time capsule not visible in shared devices | Mac Mini (Early 2009) Questions »