Specs:
    2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM
    Thinking of trading my imac for a mac pro...
    sorry i am not too knowledged in the mac pro universe. so if this question sounds noobish i apologize. i have a 27inch imac that i am thinking about hopefully trading or selling to get a mac pro. the mac pro i am looking at is a 2007 variant and am wondering if the gtx285 or the ati4870 will work in it. i dont boot camp but do run parallels 5.0 for programming when not in xcode. the videocard is for gaming and photo/movie editing. i want something that will be proficient in both environments. thanks for the imput in advance.
    I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...

Specs:
    also it will be coupled with either 2x24inch apple led's or one 30inch...
    I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...

Specs:
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    I am IMac user only since the 14 of December, so I am a long way from guru-dom so take any advice in that context. I assume that you want the Pro because of the expansion capablity. From the charts there isn't that much horsepower difference between the Pros and the new IMacs.

My IMac is an i7 and I definitely overbought. I can run OSX, Linux and Windows in Parallels and several other desktops of ordinary OSX apps at the same time with no lag at all and very little showing in the Activity Monitor CPU bar. And the graphics for games in BootCamp is the best I have ever seen. Almost photo quality.

Since you have a 27" your Mac is new, so why do you want to change (upgrade?). Just curious.

Specs:
    i dont like the heat that the imac generates, it constantly freezes and i hate turning my fans up. the heat will eventually deteriorate the components, or so i'm told. also i wanted a slightly better gaming card, plus the expansion capabilities.

Specs:
    also i dont mind buying a new mac pro, which eventually i might do in this case. was just looking to save a little money with a refurbed one.

Thread Information