New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Right machine for the job ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Grobthar

Grobthar is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac colleagues,

I am in a bit of a quandry about investing in a Mac Pro with all tge bells and whistles and in the next 2 weeks... here's the problem;

I edit a bi-weekly 26 minute show *using Final Cut Pro on a 6gb iMac.

From time to time the programme says 'insufficient memory', to which I close FCP and reboot the iMac. So, I am looking at some way to speed up the rendering process and increase my productivity.

The show consists of footage from 3 cameras shot on DV against green screen and external graphics (PNGs and .mov etc). There are then 3 separate backgrounds to be keyed-in. As you can imagine, the timeline is pretty busy.

There has just been an injection of cash as far as a new budget is concerned and I am looking to purchase a new machine - a Mac Pro.

Naturally, if you ask a dealer, they'll give you any old guff just to sell you a machine.

I would prefer opinions from users themselces. So, would I really benefit from:

8-Core 2 processor
16Go Memory
1 x 1To disc (bay 1)
1 x 1To disc (bay 2)
ATI Radeon Graphics card

... or would my processing speed remain the same as on the 6g iMac?

I am not interested in multi-tasking as this new machine would be FCP only.

All honest opinions would be very much welcomed!

Grobthar
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

What are the specs of your iMac? If you are running a core 2 duo, you will see a very major performance increase. There is supposed to be a new line of mac pros coming out soon so if you can wait, it might be a good idea. Good Luck with your purchase!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I like your choice for many reasons. You have more RAM available if needed, more HD expandability if needed and you can have another video card to drive another monitor which I think is the largest bonus.

Cost of the machine is not a priority since it is a production machine. Speed and ability will more then pay for the extra cost. Perhaps leasing a machine may make lots of sense as your can then switch out when the lease ends rather than having a critical piece fail because you own it. Applecare extended warranty will allow you to get to the end of a lease.
QUOTE Thanks
Grobthar

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Sadly, as stated, I do not have the luxury of waiting for new equipment to come out. The machine needs to be in-stream in 2 weeks.

The machine specs I gave were straight from the Apple Store page. In your opinions, such an off-the-peg machine WILL increase productivity and speed up rendering?

However, leasing is not an option.

Any other opinions as to yes or no?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

Yes, the mac pro will increase productivity by a lot. It's a great machine and it should last you a while.
QUOTE Thanks
Grobthar

Thank you Mac Pro ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New 21.5 Inch iMac | excuse me while I vent about the G4 cube »