New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Seagate Freeagent Go drive not recognised by Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilroskilly

neilroskilly is on a distinguished road

I have a Seagate Freeagent Go 750GB that my Mac won't recognise. I can't afford to lose the contents. The drive was recognised until recently and is still seen by Disk Utility, but won't display a desktop icon to access the contents. I've run Disk Utility many times and it won't fix the problem. I've followed all the steps in the knowledgebase articles. I've tried to use Seagate's diagnostics software, but without success. I've followed all steps in their knowledgebase. Can you help? Purchased 26 May 2008, S/N 5QD375A2 P/N 9NK2A6-51 (though difficult to read as very small)
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Try this setting for the Finder

Finder>Preferences>General and click on Hard Drive to show it on the desktop. Also in the Sidebar tab.

If Disk Utility can see it is mounted. My rule of thumb is always format any drive on the machine it will be used on. Thumb drives also.
QUOTE Thanks
neilroskilly

Many thanks for the suggestions. All of the tickboxes in the finder prefs and sidebar are selected. I tried this when I first had problems (sorry I forgot to mention this) and it made no difference. Disk Utility can see it, but it reports as unmounted. So I am rather at a loss still.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do you leave the drive attached all the time? Sometimes it is necessary for external hard drives to be spun down, and then connected. Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also how is the drive formatted? FAT32, NTFS or OSX format?
QUOTE Thanks
neilroskilly

Hi,
It's OSX formatted and is sometimes spun down and reconnected. I have found a trial copy of File Salvage that is currently finding the files on the drive (it looks successfully) so hopefully I can then back them up. Seagate's own diagnostics suggest all is well with the drive, but it just won't mount.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just a heads up. I tried Filesalvage once. It found all my deleted files on a drive but the trial will recover unless you pay them for it.
QUOTE Thanks
neilroskilly

Many thanks indeed for the heads up. Yes, I am expecting exactly that. At least I will know that the files are recoverable at that stage. I am hoping that Seagate will come up with a simple solution, as I am sure this must be relatively common - no reply as yet, though. If they don't (they are likely in the first instance to refer me to their knowledgebase articles, which I have already scoured), then at least I will have exhausted most possibilities before parting with my $99. It's a shame that Mac's Disk Utility doesn't do the job it should, at least in regards to my case. Many thanks for your helpful reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac problems | Radeon HD 4850 vs GTX 285 »