New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Magic Mouse too slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

The Bluetooth Magic Mouse is fairly neat once you get used to having no buttons or wheels. But on a 27 inch monitor is it way too SLOW! With the tracking cranked up to max, it still requires two passes over a large mouse pad to get from side to side.

This shouldn't have gotten out of Apple's final certification without being discovered. I assume that a future patch will fix this, but for now I advise people who are getting the huge IMacs to stay with a standard mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

That's strange because with my magic mouse with the tracking at the highest speed, it takes me about half a pass over the mouse pad to cross the whole screen.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yep agree with Mac Pro .... there might be more tweaking in preferences you need to do BC they are designed to do a single pass at MOST with the preferences set hi ....

Have a look around and play with it BC that isnt right. If still know joy i would be returning said mouse for a new one ..

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
The Bluetooth Magic Mouse is fairly neat once you get used to having no buttons or wheels. But on a 27 inch monitor is it way too SLOW! With the tracking cranked up to max, it still requires two passes over a large mouse pad to get from side to side.

This shouldn't have gotten out of Apple's final certification without being discovered. I assume that a future patch will fix this, but for now I advise people who are getting the huge IMacs to stay with a standard mouse.
You can download software to make your mouse faster and to add more functionality.

I would suggest giving BetterTouchTool a shot before you toss away your mouse. You can add expose and other cool features to your mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:

Have you upgraded to to 10.6.2? Mine traverses from one side of a 24 to the other side of an extended desktop with 20' inch connected and that is without moving off a single sheet of A4.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Interesting responses. Hmmm. Is it possible that I have a bad mouse?
I have done a software update and am on 10.6.2.

So far I have found no preferences that will speed it up. However, I have found that the IMac is perfectly happy with two mice plugged in at the same time. With these results...

With the tracking set to max, the MM is still as slow as ever. That is, two passes on a pad to get from side to side. But the Logitech mouse, at that setting. is so fast as to be unusable. It slams from side to side with only a twitch.

To make the LM usable, the tracking is set to about 40 percent. At that setting the MM will move about 1/3 of the screen in one pass. A borrowed standard Apple mouse will work just fine like the LM.

So maybe I do have a bad mouse?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

Ok in the interest in covering all bases have a shot at installing this and then retest.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yeah, I felt the same way about the tracking speed. I think (and this is just my personal opinion) is that seasoned Mac users are used to slower tracking speeds and those of us coming from Windows expect to be able to throttle our mice up so that we only have to move them an inch or two to get across the screen.

I installed MouseZoom, and even with it set to "OS X crazy fast" (their wording, not mine) and it still seemed way too slow, compared to my Logitech m555b.

Apparently the tracking speeds vary depending on the system the mouse is installed on too. Take a look at this article for more tips and tricks:

Slow Tracking speeds for the new Magic Mouse | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yeah, I felt the same way about the tracking speed. I think (and this is just my personal opinion) is that seasoned Mac users are used to slower tracking speeds and those of us coming from Windows expect to be able to throttle our mice up so that we only have to move them an inch or two to get across the screen.

I installed MouseZoom, and even with it set to "OS X crazy fast" (their wording, not mine) and it still seemed way too slow, compared to my Logitech m555b.

Apparently the tracking speeds vary depending on the system the mouse is installed on too. Take a look at this article for more tips and tricks:

Slow Tracking speeds for the new Magic Mouse | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
Downloaded and used MagicPrefs here for a day or 2 and have a idea that it leaves scaling speed at last setting. Stopped using MagicPrefs as it gave unpredictable results but might be a quick way to set a different scaling speed if u don't want to use terminal.
QUOTE Thanks
allan_vancouver

allan_vancouver is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac i7 Quad, 27", 8GB mem, 1TB disk, USB numeric keypad

Quote:

I'm a fairly new Mac user -- about 3 months. When I first received my iMac 27" i7 Quad, the magic mouse was slow so I updated the settings.

However I discovered I had to stop using my mouse pad because the MM didn't track well on it. I now just use my wooden desk top - not ideal, but I get SPEED: a quick left or right gesture of only about 2 inches zaps the cursor right across the 27" screen.

I find the friction of the MM on a mousepad and also on a wooded desk to be a bit of a problem. I'm going to search here and elsewhere to find out what type of material tracks well and has low friction with the two plactic stripes on the MM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading My IMac | Rendering on a budget: Powermac Quad »