New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrading Mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hazza Manazza

Hazza Manazza is on a distinguished road

HI there,
I have a late 2006 mac mini with intel 945GM chipset. It has Core DUo (32 bit) CPU. I was wondering if I could upgrade it to a Core 2 DUo to run 64 bit software. Would my chipset support a 64 bit cpu and would I be able to run 64 bit OS? I am afraid that 32 bit is dying out.

Hazza Manazza
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I believe the CPU is soldered fast to the logic board on Mac Minis, and much like a laptop, it's pretty much limited to memory and hard drive upgrades.

Regardless, for most people 64-bit does very little in terms of performance. I think the video game industry has gotten people to think that when you go from 8-bit to 16-bit to 32-bit, performance and capability is an order of magnitude better. And that was true back when computers were more limited. Today's hardware is so vastly superior, it's not as big of a deal.

The biggest difference 64-bit will make for the average Joe is the ability to address more than 4GB of RAM in a system. Since yours is limited to 2GB by the chipset anyway, I don't see it really having any kind of impact for you.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I believe the newest Mac Mini's solder the CPU down, the older ones like my late 2006 model have a replaceable one, but the rest of what @cwa107 said still stands. The Mini can handle at most 3G of memory, the newest ones go to 4G..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I believe the newest Mac Mini's solder the CPU down, the older ones like my late 2006 model have a replaceable one, but the rest of what @cwa107 said still stands. The Mini can handle at most 3G of memory, the newest ones go to 4G..

Regards
I stand corrected. Thanks Raz0rEdge. Good to know.

In fact, it appears this is indeed possible. See this site:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/m...duo_swaps.html

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yeah the upgrade is possible, but the CPU's cost close to $250-275 on eBay, so it's not a very budget friendly upgrade..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I tossed an Intel T7400 2.16Ghz C2D into my Mac Mini which came stock with a 1.6?Ghz Core Solo CPU. It's pretty simple, you just need to be extra careful on applying the heat paste to the CPU/heat sink. Don't get the paste ANYWHERE else. It's about a 1 hour project at most.

Here's the tutorial I followed...

o0o.it :: Mac Mini Intel Core Duo Upgrade Guide

The CPUs are not that expensive used...

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7400 SKT M 2.16/4M/667 SL9SK - eBay (item 300374536195 end time Jan-04-10 05:36:13 PST)

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Classic - Transmac, rawrite and fdimage | Would this mac be ok for... »