New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

this may sound like a very foolish question...

Thread Closed

blueskyatfero

blueskyatfero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac G5, Power PC duel-core 1.83 Ghz.

So I have a G5 that I bought to get acquainted with mac os x and I love it but it seems like i missed the boat as far as software for ppc architecture is concerned. I love the computer its awesome but it seems as though I will have to get a intel based mac to keep up with the times. When I do though I was wondering if I could make a intel frankinmac out of my old hardware by replacing the mobo, processor and cooling?? in effect treating the hardware I own already as a barebones kit with most of the stuff i want already there?? Has any one tried to do this. I know that you cant upgrade the cpu in a G5 because the cpu and mobo are integrated so I was wondering if this is just a horrible idea??
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It may be possible, but it wouldn't be legal as evidenced by this months court decision ordering Psystar to cease and desist.

It is against the EULA to install OS X on non-Apple hardware and it is in fact not that easy a task as the encryption must be broken in order to do it.

As such, being against U.S. law, it is not up for further discussion here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« Mac mini second hand help... | how to upgrade my mac pro »