1.6ghz G5 Ram Upgrade problems
    Hey everyone! This is my first post on the forums and I'm hoping you can help me because I'm stumped.

Here's my specs

1.6ghz G5
    1gb (4 x 256 sticks kingston) DDR SDRam
    256 Radeon 9800 Pro
    500gb HD
    OSX 10.5.8

I recently bought a 2gb (2 1 gb sticks) ram upgrade from OWC. I ran through the normal ram install process (power off and unplugged, all cables unplugged, static discharged) and got the infamous ram upgrade black screen. I'm showing one blink from my LED (no ram apparently) but no beep tone and obviously no start-up chime.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

Tried the different RAM slots. I've got the old school 1.6 so i've only got 4 bays (2 pairs).

Tried resetting PRAM using key commands and the reset button on the logic board. (neither seemed to work btw)

Tried booting holding down opt, command, o, f to try resetting through commands. This only froze the computer with never reaching the command prompt screen.

Tried the above solutions with the original ram installed with no difference in results.

The part that dumbfounds me the most is that I get the same result if I take out 2 of the 256 sticks and try to boot (black screen with single blink LED). The only way I can get the computer to boot is if I have all 4 256 sticks in. I don't believe I need to have 4 x 1gb sticks in do I? Or that I need to have ram in every ram slot. Shouldn't I be able to boot with 2 256 sticks and 2 1gig sticks? Or just 2 256 sticks? Could it just be as simple as bad ram? OWC is reportedly pretty reliable and thats why I went to them.

I thank you in advance for any insight you can give me

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

First question did you get the correct memory from OWC? Some G5's use DDR, and late 2005 Dual Cores use DDR 2 and no you do not need a module in every slot, but must be matched pairs, and is it possible something else became loose duing the memory install? If memory is installed incorrectly, the beeps will let you know on startup.

Next step shoot an email to OWC Larry explaining your problem, your Mac model number and details of the memory purchased. OWC are great and will repkace the modules if necessary.

Thread Information