New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

1.6ghz G5 Ram Upgrade problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kasper

Kasper is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone! This is my first post on the forums and I'm hoping you can help me because I'm stumped.

Here's my specs

1.6ghz G5
1gb (4 x 256 sticks kingston) DDR SDRam
256 Radeon 9800 Pro
500gb HD
OSX 10.5.8

I recently bought a 2gb (2 1 gb sticks) ram upgrade from OWC. I ran through the normal ram install process (power off and unplugged, all cables unplugged, static discharged) and got the infamous ram upgrade black screen. I'm showing one blink from my LED (no ram apparently) but no beep tone and obviously no start-up chime.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

Tried the different RAM slots. I've got the old school 1.6 so i've only got 4 bays (2 pairs).

Tried resetting PRAM using key commands and the reset button on the logic board. (neither seemed to work btw)

Tried booting holding down opt, command, o, f to try resetting through commands. This only froze the computer with never reaching the command prompt screen.

Tried the above solutions with the original ram installed with no difference in results.

The part that dumbfounds me the most is that I get the same result if I take out 2 of the 256 sticks and try to boot (black screen with single blink LED). The only way I can get the computer to boot is if I have all 4 256 sticks in. I don't believe I need to have 4 x 1gb sticks in do I? Or that I need to have ram in every ram slot. Shouldn't I be able to boot with 2 256 sticks and 2 1gig sticks? Or just 2 256 sticks? Could it just be as simple as bad ram? OWC is reportedly pretty reliable and thats why I went to them.

I thank you in advance for any insight you can give me
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

First question did you get the correct memory from OWC? Some G5's use DDR, and late 2005 Dual Cores use DDR 2 and no you do not need a module in every slot, but must be matched pairs, and is it possible something else became loose duing the memory install? If memory is installed incorrectly, the beeps will let you know on startup.

Next step shoot an email to OWC Larry explaining your problem, your Mac model number and details of the memory purchased. OWC are great and will repkace the modules if necessary.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to upgrade my mac pro | iMac and static electricity »