I Need Help!!! no display after RAM upgrade
    1st post here, hope I came to the right forum..

well here is my situation. I am running an intel iMac core 2 duo the 7,1 version.

I know I can upgrade to 4 gb Ram and was in the process of doing so.
    I was installing a matched pair of PNY DDR2 2 2gb ram sticks

after installing and reconnecting then powering up I am greeted with some mild fan noise and that familiar chime that says we have lift off.

after that the screen remains at a blank black screen almost as if the display it self has went out.

I did some troubleshooting and reinstalled the orignal 1gb chip that came with the computer. no problems, starts-up fine. I added each 2 gb individually into the other slot and booted up with a total of 3gb ram each time. I even switched the slots to make sure it wasn't the port itself.

basically I'm starting up perfect with 3 gb running but as soon as I try to have 4gb installed I get no display.

anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? I need 4 gigs to run multiple guitar amp mods in pro tools for a session this weekend. HELP!!!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    G;day and welcome to the forumns.

First question - did the memory come from a Mac supplier or a PC shop, as most PC memory is high density and Macs geberally are pretty fussy about using low density models?

Here are the precise memory specs for your machine:-

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Sounds like bad or incorrect memory modules to me.

I would highly recommend sticking with either OWC or Crucial.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

I'm using PNY memory so I guess I'm going to return those and try to get OWC or crucial and try those out. any place I can pick those up or do I have to order online?

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by parks044 View Post
    I'm using PNY memory so I guess I'm going to return those and try to get OWC or crucial and try those out. any place I can pick those up or do I have to order online?
    OWC is THE place to shop for Mac stuff, although others use Newegg, even Amazon. Interestingly - OWC use branded RAM, not their own product. OWC is a clearing house - they source components, test them for compatibility with Mac, and then sell onward. The last RAM I bought a few months ago - from way down here in NZ - from OWC, is Hynix brand. It works just fine.

Ordering online is a breeze with OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. They make every effort to keep you informed of order status and expected delivery time [and I get no lolly whatever for saying all this].

Thread Information