New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 256 Mb graphics card question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kelro58

kelro58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Quicksilver

Trying to upgrade my G4 Quicksilver, which has the stock 32Mb card now, I bought a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac 256Mb ADC, which I'd read was the best and fastest upgrade card for this Mac, but the connectors on the 9800 card are way too long for the AGP slot in my Mac and the ADC power tab doesn't line up either. Do I need an adapter or did I just get the wrong card? I saw a few places on the web that said this card would work with my Mac, but I can't see how, now that I have it in hand. BY the way, this card is blue and most of the ones I've seen on the web are red.
Thanks for any help on this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You purchased the PCI version of the card. There is no adapter or any way it will fit or work in an AGP slot. Send the card back and exchange it for an AGP model. Make sure the ATI Radeon 9800 is for the Mac and not a PC. The ROMs are different...

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kelro58

This is definitely a Mac card. It came out of a G5, says S/N 640446000270 MAC RAD 9800P 256M on the back sticker, and has an ADC port, which is Apple only, so explain to me please why you are saying it's for a PC? That's not the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See "Signature".

Your machine employs the use of an AGP slot for the video card. The card that you purchased is for a machine that uses a PCI (not "PC") slot for the video card.

Also, make sure that the card you end up with is compatible with AGP 4X.

Gurassic 5: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 (PCI-X), 2 1TB WD Green HD's in RAID 1, 8GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Mac Edition, Airport Extreme, BT, Dual 20" WS LCD's, 10.4.11. Alice: Aluminum Macbook, Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
kelro58

the card I bought looks exactly just like this: 661-2912 R350/ATI Radeon 9800 128MB DDR (ADC/DVI) (AGP Pro) Video Card, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories
except it's 256 Mb. This says that it's "AGP Pro". Is that the same as PCI? Because the tabs on the bottom of my card look just like this card, as does the fan, and pretty much everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
kelro58

File:AGP & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, I think I'm starting to figure this out, although still find it very confusing. According to the above diagram on Wiki, my G4 has a AGP Universal port and the card that I bought is configured for a AGP Pro 1.5V port.
So I guess the question now is, is there any way to adapt the AGP Pro 1.5V card to the AGP Universal slot?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See "Signature".

Where do you have an AGP Universal slot? Your G4 has an AGP 4x slot.

These may be the droids you're looking for:

The Mac Elite: Pins 3 And 11

You and you alone are responsible for any damage done to your machine and your video card. My recommendation would be to obtain the proper card for the machine.

Gurassic 5: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 (PCI-X), 2 1TB WD Green HD's in RAID 1, 8GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Mac Edition, Airport Extreme, BT, Dual 20" WS LCD's, 10.4.11. Alice: Aluminum Macbook, Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Have a read of this article. Sounds like you got the wrong card which is for a G5. They are AGP8X and your machine has 4x slot. The above advise is covered is this linkl but be very very careful. If the card will not fit in the slot, removing pins will do nothing for it.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP Mac Edition
QUOTE Thanks
kelro58

Thanks, that last article was very helpful. No way I want to go through all that. I guess I'll just put this card on Ebay and get the correct card for my G4. Thanks to all for your time. I learned a bit here. Sounds like the card I DO have is kinda rare....figures...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicksilver Power Mac G4 HD help. | Improve Performance »