New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Insert SD card into CD/DVD slot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BMWguy206

BMWguy206 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz

OK so I did something really stupid and accidentally insert my SD card into the CD/DVD slot. I noticed something was wrong when it went in too far. I couldn't grab it with my fingers so when I tried to insert a paper clip to pull it out, it ended up dropping inside the unit.

Are there directions online in how to take apart a 27in iMac late 2009?

I tried putting in a DVD and the drive wont take it though you can hear the drive moving.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First bit of advice: Do not turn the machine on again. Leave it off! With that paper clip floating around inside it may short something out if it hasn't already done so.

As for disassembly instructions for the 27" iMac... Take it on in to your local Apple store and have them do the removal of the SD card and paper clip. You'll be charged for the labor of course, but I would not advise doing the job yourself unless you're technically qualified and have lots of patience.

Here are the tear down instructions for the iMac 27" from the folks at iFixit.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
BMWguy206

Thank you for your time finding this link and posting it up. I use to build PCs as a hobby but that was many years ago. I still have tools to do it and the suction cups I would have to pick up at my work.

Anyways, it's really something I don't want to mess with. I found a local Apple repair shop only 3.5 miles away. I'll email them for an estimate.
QUOTE Thanks
BMWguy206

So get this... I'm about to go to the Apple repair store and when I rotated the iMac 90 degrees so that the superdrive faces the floor, a bit of the SD card is sticking out. This time it's enough for me to get a special tool to pull it out. Whew that was a close one.

I bookmarked that link you gave me though especially when it comes time to upgrade RAM or replace the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Great to hear! You saved a bunch of $$$ in labor alone. As for the memory upgrade, that's easy. The hard drive swap is more difficult because the entire display must be removed to get at it.

BTW, the folks at ifixit have step by step instructions for all sorts of upgrades and repair jobs. Also, you might want to take a look on U-Tube. Lots of instructional videos there to look at.

Have fun.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac G3 screen resolution? | Imac G3 does not boot from CD »