New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

what's best for DESIGNERS: Duo or i5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sbirdy

sbirdy is on a distinguished road

27" with 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OR 2.66GHz Intel Core i5....
Not sure which iMac will be best for my specific needs:
  • Web and graphic designer
  • Will use computer for both business and everyday personal activities
  • Most used programs for work: Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop (a little Flash), Coda (web development), Firefox
  • Most used programs for personal: iPhoto, iTunes, Adium (chat client), Firefox

Iíve been reading up on the processors but havenít been able to draw a solid conclusion. Itís clear that the i5/i7ís severely outperform the Duo when it comes to gaming... but considering the programs Iíll be running... is it worth it? Would it be more beneficial to spend the money bumping the 4GB of memory of the Duo to 8... or the 3.06GHz to 3.33? Or is the Duo, even with all the best upgrades, just not going to run the design programs as well?

Any technical reasoning you may have... as well any as personal experience... would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
QUOTE Thanks
vitaopus

vitaopus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" 2.88 Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2TB HD, 512 ATI Raedon

Go with the i7 for maximum satisfaction. The Quad-Core i5 would be fine though.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

The duo will work perfectly fine for what you are doing but buy the best machine you can afford. I have a feeling that if you go with the core 2 duo, you will be regretting it in a year or so. As vitaopus said, you would be much happier with an i7, especially after a couple of years.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Wait for the upgrade to the MacPro line in the next few months. They will likely get the i9 6 core chips. Photoshop and Illustrator will appreciate the extra cores, assuming you are running the latest versions.

QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

Tarmac_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM

agreed with the posts above. i as well am a programmer and bought the i7 just for future proofing myself for a little while. there are somethings i use that take advantage of 8 cores. also 4 gigs is more than enough but go for 8 if you can.

I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to do?? Mac Pro or iMac i7 or... | My ethernet connection is TOO SLOW! »