New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What to do?? Mac Pro or iMac i7 or...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s3p

s3p is on a distinguished road

My wife just bought me a Mac Pro 8core to replace my G5 w/the Power PC chip. Was it a good move? I'm a photographer in need of some speed n power, but I'm thinking it was an over kill. Not to mention, I started it up and my 30" cinema display blew out.

Asking advise from any and everyone. What should I do, keep it or get the iMac i7?
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

I feel mine is overkill, also use it for Photography.

If it was available in January when I bought mine I would've gone for the 27" iMac w/i7. Photoshop and Lightroom can't make use of 8 cores and the iMacs can take a lot of RAM now too...
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

It is a hard choice, but I think I would stay with the mac pro due to some of the issues the iMac is having. I love the mac pro, but decided the iMac was a better investment for me as I don't need all of the power of the mac pro.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

There is no such thing as "too much power" but there is such a things as "too little power". Be happy with your wife's gift. Besides, the Pro is a lot more expandable and upgradable in the long run...

QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

Tarmac_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM

i would sell the mac pro and get the i7, since your 30 blew out and all...the i7 is what i have now. i dont have yellow/flickering screen and i got mine on the 22nd of dec. runs/looks like a charm. its fast enough for me (programmer) ad i have 8 gigs of ram. i thnk 8 is the most you can get for the money. i mean if you want to pay through the nose for the 4x4 gig sticks then be my guest. other than that i like the fact i dont have a tower at my feat or taking room on a desktop somewhere.

I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC G5 intel based - starts and shuts down - HELP | what's best for DESIGNERS: Duo or i5? »