New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Memory upgrade for iMac G4 1GHz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Balthazar

Balthazar is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am trying to help my brother upgrade an iMac G4 (bought used) with the following specifications:

The series that looks like a bowl upside down, with an arm holding a flat-screen LCD-monitor on top.

1 GHz PPC processor
256 MB memory 333MHz SDRAM
167 MHz system bus
Model ID: PowerMac 6.1 versjon 3.3
Darwin kernel from 2003
The monitor seems more 15-inch-ish than 17-inch.

Might get more info from system profiler if needed. Looking at the above specs, it looks like this must be the model apple has listed as "iMac (USB 2.0)" - using this guide:

How to identify iMac (Flat Panel) models

The only thing that doesn't look right is that this article iMac (USB 2.0) - Technical Specifications says it shipped with MacOS 10.3, while our machine has 10.2.8 installed. Could it be the first units shipped with 10.2, and later units shipped with 10.3 installed? Have we found the right machine? We need to know, because we are looking for an Airport card for it. Can we assume our model supports an Airport Extreme card?

Second question is the following: We have ordered some extra RAM for the machine, from MemoryTen. Their site says that this card...

M9655G/A, M9298G/A, KTA-IMAC400/1G, 1GB Apple PowerMac G5 PC3200 DDR400 DIMM

...is compatible with the factory memory slot. This card is listed as "1GB Apple PowerMac G5 PC3200 DDR400 DIMM", but the original card is PC2700 DDR333. Will it still be compatible?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

I use this site Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com cos i like the layout and u can see they show 2 units a 15 and a 17. Those G4 have 2 different memory cards - a 200 pin and a 184 pin - one at the top and one underneath (200) which is easy. Best deal i reckon is add a 1GB chip to the lower one. The 15 shows it pre installed with 10.2.3, so that looks Ok. Airport was optional so that is a another story. Will see what i can find. Look at upgrading to 10.4.11 will run well on that with 1.2 GB memory.

There you go - piece of cake http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/h...t-cip.mov.html
QUOTE Thanks
Balthazar

Thanks a bunch. Must be the right model. Now, the memory question remains. The model ships with PC2700 333MHz, but MemoryTen says PC3200 400MHz is compatible. Are they right? Are the speed reqs of memory minimum reqs, or must it be that speed exactly?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Not my area of expertise but if Everymac gives the same specs i would go for it. i do know more than one chip speed will be usable on some models. i assume u can add faster chips and they will operate with the slower speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

No the 400MHz is backwards compatible and will operate at the 333MHz. Make sure the memory they sell you is Apple compatible and low density. Also check out OWC for memory. This is the precise RAM and price from OWC:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../2700DDRS1GBA/
QUOTE Thanks
Balthazar

Thanks a lot. The memory is ordered already, I just needed to make sure we had ordered the right kind. I'll put the site in my bookmarks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a G5 | Trackpad Issue »