New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Quick question???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deerman92

deerman92 is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if an Imac G4 with a 700MHz processor (or up) and 1GB of memory would be able to lay standard flash video such as youtube fine without much lag. I know currently my old Imac G3 will not.
Also will an Imac G3 with a 700MHz processor with a GB of ram play youtube videos.
I like macs i just do not want to pay 500 bucks for a CHEAP one.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerman92 View Post
I was just wondering if an Imac G4 with a 700MHz processor (or up) and 1GB of memory would be able to lay standard flash video such as youtube fine without much lag. I know currently my old Imac G3 will not.
Also will an Imac G3 with a 700MHz processor with a GB of ram play youtube videos.
I like macs i just do not want to pay 500 bucks for a CHEAP one.
Hi there,

I can't answer your question definitively, but I can tell you that I am able to tell you that I can quite happily view youtube vids on my G4 Quicksilver 933Mhz.

From what I remember (I'm returning to the Mac scene after about 5 years absence) the processor in a imac is essentially a cut-down version of a G3/4/5, etc in that the L2 (level 2) cache is usually pretty minimal, so this would have a bearing on what the processor is capable of doing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will assist you further.
QUOTE Thanks
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See "Signature".

I had an iBook G4 with an 800Mhz processor, an ATI 9200 video card, and 1.25Gb of RAM. Even with processor performance set to "highest" it would still drop frames while playing some YouTube clips. These two machines have the same levels of L1 and L2/L3 cache and the same amount of VRAM (32Mb). Also, the iBook has a slightly faster FSB at 133MHz vs the iMac with 100MHz. Honestly, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The good news: You can pay less than 500 dollars for a sufficient machine. Check Craigslist and eBay. I purchased my Dual 2.0 G5 for 280 dollars sans RAM, HD's, and a video card. It's possible. Keep your eyes peeled and good luck!

Gurassic 5: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 (PCI-X), 2 1TB WD Green HD's in RAID 1, 8GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Mac Edition, Airport Extreme, BT, Dual 20" WS LCD's, 10.4.11. Alice: Aluminum Macbook, Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 27" i5 or i7 - dual or quad? | iMac 27" Duo start up problem »