New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 27" Duo start up problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nomacexpert

nomacexpert is on a distinguished road

Hi, could any iMac experts out there help me with this one please? I have always been a window user and this is my second day with my brand new iMac. The shop delivered and set it up for me yesterday. Today, when I tried to switch it on, the first time, no response (just a white screen). Switch it back off and on again, then it took 10 mins to boot up! I called the shop and they said it might be the RAM (i upgraded from 4GB to 8GB) having a compatible issue and said if the issue continues the next few days, they'd send a technican to change the part for the RAM. I shut it down and tried again, again just the boosting sound then a white screen, nothing. Switched it off and then back on again, and again this time it took 10 mins. What should I do? Let the shop changes a part (as they suggest?) or should I insist on the shop giving me a new machine?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Normally, if memory is incompatible the machine will not boot at all. Or you may even get a constant beeping noise. A white screen and 10 minute boot time indicates other problems in my opinion.

Since the machine is brand new I believe I would insist on them bringing out a new one to replace the one they sold you.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
nomacexpert

Thanks, chscaq. Is there a thing as "Apple ram". I wonder if they've given me some cheap brand upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
nomacexpert

Ah, is that the problem? I read the manual. It says you should shut it down only when you're not using your mac for more than a few days. You should normally just put it to sleep. And I SHUT IT DOWN. Does the iMac take ages to switch on from a SHUT DOWN mode (not from a sleep mode)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick question??? | Installing Mac On a PC? »