New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac LCD Burning Image very Quickly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jake Root

Jake Root is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C.2.D. 2.4GHz

Hello All,

Excuse me if I put this in the wrong section, I think I'm okay, but sorry if it's not. I'm new. Anyway, as the title says, my iMac's LCD is burning VERY quickly, as in like reading a google search result (web page up for about 10 seconds) will burn, literally that quick. Does anybody know of a fix for this? It looks really bad on my solid colored wallpaper.

-Jake Root

P.S. The image usually goes away [from being burned] after about 3 minutes. Also, it's a 24" inch aluminum.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That really isn't a burn-in issue (burn-in really applies to having a constant image set on one portion of your screen regardless for what else is on the screen). What you are describing sounds more like a refresh issue, or delay issue. Whereby, if you watch something for a bit and then move away the previous image takes a while to fade away before the new image completely takes over.

On the first generation LCD's, this was known as ghosting and was really perceptible on sports and games where you could actually see the path of the character/athlete.

How long has your iMac been doing this and how old is it? If it's still under warranty or AppleCare support, then you might want to give them a call..

I'm sure there are some LCD test programs you can run to see how bad this phenomenon is on your LCD..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Jake Root

My iMac is about 2 years old, bought in December of 2007. It's been doing it for about a month or so. Strange because I have in no way changed any display settings, or general settings for that matter.

Sadly, I'm not in warranty anymore, so that's out of question, but I guess I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the help,

Jake
QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

As equipment ages, there's a need to change settings to compensate for changes in the equipment's performance. You might find your original settings way off ideal for now. Let us know what you find out; I'm curious to know if running the test program and tweaking the settings helps you out.

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If this is a recent thing, it's entirely possible the LCD is beginning to fail.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Give this a try to prevent ghosting, or image persistence as Apple refers to it:-

JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels
QUOTE Thanks
Jake Root

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies! Coaster-I lowered the brightness, to see what that does. Raz0r- Holy **** I hope not. Colin- Me too.

The weirdest thing is it doesn't "persist" [the image] in Boot Camp. I honestly cannot figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deskjet Printer not responding to Safari | Which to buy...??? »