New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac starts up then gets stuck on blue screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melora

melora is on a distinguished road

I have read many forums and tried SEVERAL things to fix this issue.
I realize that perhaps I might have a hard drive failure, which in that case I need to get my files off there and the only other computer I have is a Toshiba PC Laptop running Windows Vista.

First off Im sure you need info about the Mac..
Its Emac running 10.2.8 (Ancient yes I know I used it to mostly to do my artwork on which is why I need to access the files). 40GB Hardrive...
It still contains its original ram stick which is 128mb I think. I tried removing it and all that jazz and it doesnt change the ending result of the blue screen.

I attempted to archive and install using the first disk of the install series that originally came with my computer by holding C after the chime while starting up and the disk never loads its just a solid gray screen. You can hear the disk trying to load but nothing happens.

I tried booting up in Safe Boot (Mode) and I get a kernel panic message to restart my computer.

I started up in single user mode and ran fsck -y it said it recoginized a missing thread error and fixed it but nothing happens when i exit or restart.
Ive repeated the fsck numerous times and it repeats the same error and fixes it everytime.

Can anyone suggest anything else?
Will give plenty more details if needed
Thankyou for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

You have two options (at this stage anyway):
1. Disk Warrior. It is an excellent fix-it utility, but it's expensive. It's a toss up between buying it with the chance that it can fix the eMac's hardware problem, or taking your eMac to a technician who has DW and paying what might be even more for that same chance.
2. Trying to recover the data yourself ... Amazon.com: Data Rescue 3: Software

If I were in your situation, I'd try removing the hard drive altogether to see if it can be connected to another Mac via a USB/ATA adaptor. That still may not solve the problem though, that being that the hard drive has failed/is failing.
QUOTE Thanks
melora

melora is on a distinguished road

I have no clue how to remove the hard drive...Ill have to see if anyone around here can take a look I guess. I live in a very small town, therefore most computer places only work on PCS sadly..
Well whatever it takes I have to get it off. I have alot of artwork not backed up on it *sigh*. Which is my own stupid fault I know.
Thankyou for your suggestions. They are very much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And if your eMac is a 1.25GHz model, failing capacitors could be the problem with problems booting and freezing.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by melora View Post
I have no clue how to remove the hard drive.
See PM to you.

Quote:
I live in a very small town
So do I! Probably smaller than you. Therefore we need to support mutually our self-sufficiency in dealing with our very occasional Mac problems. Hugh
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

If you do try to take the eMac apart keep track of all the screws, its one of the more bothersome macs to dismantle and if i remember correctly there was an insane amount of screws involved!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As a suggestion use an ice block try from the freezer and mark one, two, three etc in the various compartments and on the way back start at the highest number and work back down re-installing the screws!
QUOTE Thanks
OnlyTimeWillTel

OnlyTimeWillTel can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: see sig...

Hugh Vane and Melora, I can understand the issues with living in a small town. In my entire county I'm one of only 2 people that work on Mac products at all. The pc shops around here all have my number for cases when people come in with one.

Slickshoes, taking an eMac apart is easy I've done it to mine more times than I care to admit

P.S. The answer is 24 screws to get to the harddrive. 25 if you actually take the plastic ram access cover off (no need to, cover clears it when you take the cover off). 2 more screws to remove the hdd caddy from the logicboard frame. Then of course 4 more holding the hdd to the caddy. No need to remove the optical drive for this either. Or the ram.

eMac 1.5ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, Sony cd burner
2g iPod Shuffle 1gb, 2g iPod Touch 16gb

<Rep is overrated>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerPC G5 as Media Center | Buying a G5 »