New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

"Computer must be restarted. Hold down the power button to restart"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seansteez

seansteez is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm having some problems with my white intel based iMac 20". I had it shut off and unplugged for a few days. I went to plug it in and boot it up. It kept displays this message " Computer must be restarted. Hold down the power button to restart, and once more to turn back on" I kept doing this, and getting the same message. So I found my disc's that came with the computer and started on my journey of restoring my computer by erasing everything and reinstalling Mac OS X. It was taking forever, I let it sit installing for 2 days. It had barely gotten anywhere on the second disc so I gave up.

I then tried to erase the hard drive using disc utility, and that was taking forever too. I turned off the computer during it, and now it won't even see the hard drive when I try to go through the install process with the CD.

Can anyone help me please, I don't want to bring the darn thing to the store. Thanks to anyone in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It sounds like the hard drive is dying/dead. Put in the OSX Install DVD and hold down the D key right after the startup sound. That will run the Apple Hardware Test. Do the extended test. See what it reports.

Also you can boot from the OSX DVD by holding down C and run Disk Utility from the dropdown menu and see what the SMART status is for the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

what should the SMART status be for the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Veryfied. Check the pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (23.3 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

I just ran the extended hardware test on it, for the second time. It came back with nothing wrong. So where can I go from here to figure it out?

The Partition Scheme says its unformatted though. So I assume I need to partition my hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What Did SMART report? If it's not verifyed then the drive is failing.
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

SMART Status: Verified

I don't think its the drive
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

Bump:

How long should a partition take?
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

bumpppp
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Partition should take maybe 10 seconds or so. Be sure the partition is GUID since you have an Intel Mac. You click the Partition tab in Disk Utility and then click where it says current and click on One Partition. Then Options will be accessable at the bottom. Click and select GUID for the Partition type.
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

Okay so I have the partition issue fixed and solved.

I'm trying to reinstall OS X 10.4 using the original discs that came with the computer, but it seems to be going so slow (again). Why the **** would it be going so slow?
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

For future reference and onlookers, that was a Kernel Panic (see pic attached), which could be the result of just about anything. While sometimes it can be a very serious issue requiring hardware replacement or OS reinstall I suppose. It is my understanding that is most often occurs from incompatible or corrupt files and is easily fixed. Though I've always felt like this "not a big deal" persona of a kernel panic may be more hype than not and generally something more ill is at fault. Please let us know is you see the error message again.
Attached Images
File Type: png Kernel Panic.png (144.8 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
seansteez

this issue is still not fixed, and I can't seem to move any further. I am trying to install using a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard disc and seeing what happens. If anyone can shed some light, please help a desperate computer out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac with a cinema display | Imac G5 power issue »