New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac G5 power issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mpurvi

mpurvi is on a distinguished road

My first generation 17" Imac G5 is having start up problems. The protection plan expired atleast 2 years ago but I don't want to invest in costly apple repairs at this point. I have tried all the support recommendations (checked power cords disconnected peripherals, reset the SMU, checked LED...). LED 1 is the only light on. There's no fan. Before this, it would restart by disconnecting everything, including an external hard drive that seemed to cause power issues. Later a garay screen would appear on reboot, and now nothing will start and the screen is black. The capacitors on the motherboard appear to be normal. How can I tell if the power supply needs to be replaced? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
mpurvi

mpurvi is on a distinguished road

can someone at least tell me how to determine if either the power supply or pram battery are dead?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try a new PRAM battery and reset the SMU. PS needs to be checked by technician.
QUOTE Thanks
sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

unfotunately power supply failures are a fairly common thing with G5's
pig of a job to do as well because pretty much everything needs to come out of the casing to get it out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Computer must be restarted. Hold down the power button to restart" | New 27'' iMac - Very Happy! »