New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G5 RAM in Mac Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Flashback

Just sold my iMac G5 (fans driving me mad) and bought a new G4 Mac Mini. I took out the 512MB or RAM that I bought from Crucial for my iMac G5, can I put this G5 iMac RAM into my new Mac Mini to replace the single 256 MB ram that the mini came with?

I have posted around the web and am getting lots of different opinions, some say yes, some say definitely NO. Some even say it will down grade the ram speed, or something like that...

Also, I have just installed (upgrade option) Tiger to upgrade from Panther. Somebody at Cancom (UK Apple retailer) told me that Tiger needs 256MB of RAM just to run itself and any other application I open after this will run really slow, is this true? if so will 512MB be better on Mac mini running Tiger?

Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

It should work. The memory type for the iMac and the mini are the same (DDR-SDRAM), only that the iMac's has a higher speed spec. The mini will run them at a slower speed than the iMac, but it won't slowdown the mini.

cc minimum RAM config, 256MB is the bare minimum for any OS X version. If you want it to run smoothly with a couple of apps open, get at least 512MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Flashback

Thanks, have since done the upgrade and all is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Flash, the ram is the exact same on the mini. However this is where what you wrote is correct. Chances are the ram that you have is PC3200 DDR ram. The mini can process up to PC2700 speed, that being said the PC3200 ram will just run at PC2700 speed.

I can confirm this because I have done this first hand, I have PC3200 ram that I put into my mini without any problems what-so-ever with the ram. You will definitly see a huge difference when upgrading the RAM. Good luck with it!

EDIT: TOO LATE :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Thats disappointing to hear that your iMac fans were so annoying that you went to a mac mini, I was thinking of getting an iMac but I really like how quiet my min is.
QUOTE Thanks
Flashback

Maybe I just had a duff one. My girlfriends is fine, well it revs a little when in Garageband, but mine was off the scale.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

aw, iMac's are crap. atleast mine is, stupid fans and faulty screen. did your fans make a whistling noise by any chance. ?
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Hey Flashback... Which version of the iMac did you have? I was just getting ready to order mine tomorrow but I do alot of recording stuff so the niose factor could be major problem for me.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Go ahead and order that iMac.

A small number of them (Fraction) had problems. Mine is fine; never a single problem. You should have no trouble. And in cause that you do, it's covered under warranty.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

lol good luck using that warranty, and dont even bother calling apple for it. apple phone support sucks and they will probably not let you use your warranty. there is 2 defects on mine and they wont let me return it. idiots.... and i have the first iMac by the way. the 1.6Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Just placed the order this morning... my 20" is on its way... WOOHOO!

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
gucciago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Thats disappointing to hear that your iMac fans were so annoying that you went to a mac mini, I was thinking of getting an iMac but I really like how quiet my min is.
I have the iMac G5 with 1.5gig ram and it flies... I have also a powerbook G4 1.33 with 786ram and there is no comparison.. the G5 is MUCH faster... also Tiger can address the true 64Bit G5 where the G4 cannot access these efficiencies.. so.. running Tiger on the G4 might be ok.. but nothing like the optimized G5 ... I use Industry software like Illustrator and Photoshop..(many others) and haveing the 64 Bit processor really makes a difference... more-so in Tiger ....

Also.. the G4s use the IDE Dard drives and they are not as fast as the Serial Drives in the G5s my laptop really suffers... 32bit, 4200rpm IDE ATA... it REALLY has to be maxed out in ram just to keep up....

Dennis
:doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
lol good luck using that warranty, and dont even bother calling apple for it. apple phone support sucks and they will probably not let you use your warranty. there is 2 defects on mine and they wont let me return it. idiots.... and i have the first iMac by the way. the 1.6Ghz
When a problem happened with my iMac (stupidly loud fans) i phoned apple, and they were quick to tell me how to fix it. Within 15 minutes it was fine.
Well impressed, i think they made me reset the "MSU" or something. (Little silver square with black dot under the fan)
Alex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« To upgrade CPU again????? | iMAC G4 or iMAC G5 - which should I buy? »