Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    iMac do it yourself memory upgrade: how easy/hard?
    Okay with the update of the iMac and a session at the Apple store with a 20" model and the decision has been made that my next Mac will be one of those. Perhaps not until the NEXT update of the iMac, but no reason not to start research right away. :mac:

    Anyway I know that the default memory configuration is now 512 meg of RAM, which according to my own Mini experience is perfectly adequate for my type of computer use. The iMac is upgradeable to 2G, however, and while adequate is nice there is no reason to limit oneself to the memory the machine came with. So my question is how easy/hard is it for one to do a memory upgrade to an iMac with third party RAM to avoid the Apple inflated prices? I did my own Mini from 256M to 512 and that was not particularly difficult, but from my observation of the iMac, it would seem that it is constructed a little differently...in that "you'll void your warrantee and cause evil if you try to open the case yourself" sort of way.

    Or was there something that I missed?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini, the imac is made to be accessibble, I believe there are 2 or 3 small screws that just hold the back on, it should be easy enough, I've done it, just lay the imac g5 face down on a towel and remove the screws, the ram is easily accessible, just make sure its in securely, replace the screws, thats it.

  3. #3

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini,
    My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

    However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.

  4. #4

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    hmm, I've read many things, most say that only when it comes to the mini, opening it yourself voids the warranty.

  5. #5

    bassplayrr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location
    San Fransisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    500
    Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    Upgrading the memory in the iMac is literally the easiest computer work I have ever done. There are three screws that are locked in to the case, so you can't lose them. Turning these three screws counter clockwise releases three cam locks (after maybe four turns) and badabing, the back of the case is off. I took pictures of all this when I changed my iMacs power supply, so let me know and I can email some of them to you.

    -Chris

  6. #6

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerj
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini
    My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

    However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.
    From the blurb:
    Apple's warranty states:

    "This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

    Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

    It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

    The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

    So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  7. #7

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    From the blurb:
    Apple's warranty states:

    "This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

    Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

    It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

    The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

    So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.
    Then someone needs to update the guys over at MacWorld along with some other sites because it doesn't seem as though they bothered with that particular detail prior to cracking the case and writing about how to do it.

    Seeing as how I did not break anything, I'm not particularly concerned about it. Truth be told I was far more interested in the upgradability of the iMac, and that question has been answered.

  8. #8

    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    if you ever do anymore upgrade, do not try and force the screws in or you will break the inside part thats hold them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade memory or hard drive
    By kudragrace in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
  2. Imac memory upgrade
    By jayman1492 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
  3. IMac Memory Upgrade Help
    By raycanales in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 11:02 PM
  4. Memory upgrade for a G5 iMac
    By Northern Lights in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 05:57 AM
  5. iMac G4 memory upgrade
    By n2soccer31 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •