New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac do it yourself memory upgrade: how easy/hard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Okay with the update of the iMac and a session at the Apple store with a 20" model and the decision has been made that my next Mac will be one of those. Perhaps not until the NEXT update of the iMac, but no reason not to start research right away. :mac:

Anyway I know that the default memory configuration is now 512 meg of RAM, which according to my own Mini experience is perfectly adequate for my type of computer use. The iMac is upgradeable to 2G, however, and while adequate is nice there is no reason to limit oneself to the memory the machine came with. So my question is how easy/hard is it for one to do a memory upgrade to an iMac with third party RAM to avoid the Apple inflated prices? I did my own Mini from 256M to 512 and that was not particularly difficult, but from my observation of the iMac, it would seem that it is constructed a little differently...in that "you'll void your warrantee and cause evil if you try to open the case yourself" sort of way.

Or was there something that I missed?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini, the imac is made to be accessibble, I believe there are 2 or 3 small screws that just hold the back on, it should be easy enough, I've done it, just lay the imac g5 face down on a towel and remove the screws, the ram is easily accessible, just make sure its in securely, replace the screws, thats it.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini,
My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

hmm, I've read many things, most say that only when it comes to the mini, opening it yourself voids the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Upgrading the memory in the iMac is literally the easiest computer work I have ever done. There are three screws that are locked in to the case, so you can't lose them. Turning these three screws counter clockwise releases three cam locks (after maybe four turns) and badabing, the back of the case is off. I took pictures of all this when I changed my iMacs power supply, so let me know and I can email some of them to you.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini
My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.
From the blurb:
Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
From the blurb:
Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.
Then someone needs to update the guys over at MacWorld along with some other sites because it doesn't seem as though they bothered with that particular detail prior to cracking the case and writing about how to do it.

Seeing as how I did not break anything, I'm not particularly concerned about it. Truth be told I was far more interested in the upgradability of the iMac, and that question has been answered.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

if you ever do anymore upgrade, do not try and force the screws in or you will break the inside part thats hold them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 iMac 'noise'... | PowerMac G3 AIO System Questions... »