24" iMac white smudge?
    Hi there, recently I've just noticed this weird line/smudge on my 2.8 24" iMac...

It's just below the menubar a little from the left, a few inches long.

It fades away when you stare at it, but it's noticeable on a solid color.

The line/smudge itself is white.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It looks almost like some sort of pressure mark, it's not completely straight, kinda curved.

I've had quite a few problems with this display, no dead pixels but quite a bit of screen burn-in this doesn't seem to be burn-in though, won't go away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Las Vegas, NV USA
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    First thing I'd do if I were you is to have someone else look at it. Saying "It fades away when you stare at it, ..." makes me think you may be "seeing" something that really isn't there.

It's definitely there, I've checked with friends haha.

I think it's more of an angle thing, depends how you look at it.

If you drag a Safari window over the area you can see where it is, shows up on the silver window bar.

(It's not so noticeable when it's just placed over it, but when you move the window about a bit it becomes really noticeable)

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You also mentioned screen burn in. What exactly do you mean here? Screen burn in is when an image of something has been burned into the screen and stays there permanently. The white smudge may be screen burn or a defect since it doesn't sound like bad pixels.

Is your machine still under warranty or Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with Apple to have them look at it.

Well, when I zoom in on a solid color, you can see a bit of burn-in from items on my desktop.

(outline from images on desktop, sometimes you can even see the "Macintosh HD" text)

I presume that's some sort of burn-in, not sure what it's called otherwise! Doesn't stay there permanently though.

I'll probably just have to take it in, thanks.

Thread Information