Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2009
    24" iMac white smudge?
    Hi there, recently I've just noticed this weird line/smudge on my 2.8 24" iMac...

    It's just below the menubar a little from the left, a few inches long.

    It fades away when you stare at it, but it's noticeable on a solid color.

    The line/smudge itself is white.

    Any ideas on how to fix it? It looks almost like some sort of pressure mark, it's not completely straight, kinda curved.

    I've had quite a few problems with this display, no dead pixels but quite a bit of screen burn-in this doesn't seem to be burn-in though, won't go away.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    VegasGeorge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 23, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    First thing I'd do if I were you is to have someone else look at it. Saying "It fades away when you stare at it, ..." makes me think you may be "seeing" something that really isn't there.

  3. #3

    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2009
    It's definitely there, I've checked with friends haha.

    I think it's more of an angle thing, depends how you look at it.

    If you drag a Safari window over the area you can see where it is, shows up on the silver window bar.

    (It's not so noticeable when it's just placed over it, but when you move the window about a bit it becomes really noticeable)

  4. #4

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Keller, Texas
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7+, Numerous iPods, High Sierra
    You also mentioned screen burn in. What exactly do you mean here? Screen burn in is when an image of something has been burned into the screen and stays there permanently. The white smudge may be screen burn or a defect since it doesn't sound like bad pixels.

    Is your machine still under warranty or Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with Apple to have them look at it.


  5. #5

    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2009
    Well, when I zoom in on a solid color, you can see a bit of burn-in from items on my desktop.

    (outline from images on desktop, sometimes you can even see the "Macintosh HD" text)

    I presume that's some sort of burn-in, not sure what it's called otherwise! Doesn't stay there permanently though.

    I'll probably just have to take it in, thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to "smudge" text in iMovie - making it blurry and anonymous.
    By himmelstorte in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts