New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

24" iMac white smudge?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Layton

Layton is on a distinguished road

Hi there, recently I've just noticed this weird line/smudge on my 2.8 24" iMac...

It's just below the menubar a little from the left, a few inches long.

It fades away when you stare at it, but it's noticeable on a solid color.

The line/smudge itself is white.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It looks almost like some sort of pressure mark, it's not completely straight, kinda curved.

I've had quite a few problems with this display, no dead pixels but quite a bit of screen burn-in this doesn't seem to be burn-in though, won't go away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

First thing I'd do if I were you is to have someone else look at it. Saying "It fades away when you stare at it, ..." makes me think you may be "seeing" something that really isn't there.
QUOTE Thanks
Layton

It's definitely there, I've checked with friends haha.

I think it's more of an angle thing, depends how you look at it.

If you drag a Safari window over the area you can see where it is, shows up on the silver window bar.

(It's not so noticeable when it's just placed over it, but when you move the window about a bit it becomes really noticeable)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You also mentioned screen burn in. What exactly do you mean here? Screen burn in is when an image of something has been burned into the screen and stays there permanently. The white smudge may be screen burn or a defect since it doesn't sound like bad pixels.

Is your machine still under warranty or Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with Apple to have them look at it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Layton

Well, when I zoom in on a solid color, you can see a bit of burn-in from items on my desktop.

(outline from images on desktop, sometimes you can even see the "Macintosh HD" text)

I presume that's some sort of burn-in, not sure what it's called otherwise! Doesn't stay there permanently though.

I'll probably just have to take it in, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Fan Speed Excessive | 24" Refurb vs 21.5" New »