New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

End-User Memory Upgrade on 27" iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rob.G

Rob.G is on a distinguished road

Hi folks... I'm finally sold on getting a Mac, and I've picked out the 27" iMac.

What I'm wondering is this... is it possible for us "end-users" to get the thing open to do our own memory upgrade? I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.

The key is... can we get into the thing to do it? I know it has one of those seamless, one-piece cases, so I'm not even sure HOW to get into it. I don't have one yet; I still have to find the money to buy it.

Thanks!

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
What I'm wondering is this... is it possible for us "end-users" to get the thing open to do our own memory upgrade? I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.

The key is... can we get into the thing to do it? I know it has one of those seamless, one-piece cases, so I'm not even sure HOW to get into it. I don't have one yet; I still have to find the money to buy it.

Thanks!

Rob
Yes it is possible to do your own memory upgrade on an iMac...but it's probably more important to "find the money" to buy the iMac first...before worrying about memory upgrades!!!

Just my 2 cents,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Very easy to upgrade the memory on the iMac. Follow this link to see videos of the process. You just remove a small panel on the bottom of the iMac and the memory slots are readily available there..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I can't see spending $$$$$$$ to get memory for it when I can buy and install my own for about 1/8th the price.
Rob,

Yes, it's very easy to access the memory slots through a cover on the bottom.

I don't know what memory you were pricing but I just did a check on Newegg, my favorite supplier, and found that adding 4 GB for a total of 8 was a little more than 1/2 not 1/8th the cost of ordering it with the iMac.

Enjoy!

Rick - K6LE
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Rick, why would you use newegg for $750 when you can get it from OWC for 469?

QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
Rick, why would you use newegg for $750 when you can get it from OWC for 469?
Check my OP, I was talking about 4GB total not 4gb sticks.

I have never seriously looked at 16GB since I wouldn't want to pay $750 or $469!

Rick - K6LE
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro as media centre | Reducing eye strain on iMac 27'' ? »