New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 won't recognize new OR old memory!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ashley24

I recently purchased memory for my 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 from memoryupgrade.com. I attempted to install 2 1GB memory sticks this morning in addition to the 2 156 MB memory sticks that came standard with the machine. After installation, the computer will not reboot. Instead it blinks twice indicating that there is no RAM installed.

I tried removing the new memory and rebooting with the old and the same result. I tried rebooting with only the new memory as well as switching the slots for the two with the same result. Any suggestions!?!?! I tried contacting memoryupgrade.com with no such luck. Some technician is supossed to contact me later today but I don't have much hope.

I wore an anti-static wrist strap and have had no problems installing memory in the past. Did I ruin both pairs of memory or is there a way to at least make the old memory work? This is the main prepress computer in the printing department and I need it up and running ASAP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

If its the 'older' dual G5 then you need to place the rams in opossing slots eg: both middle ones then work you way outwards ... least thats what I did with mine

d
QUOTE Thanks
ashley24

I just purchased the Mac within the last month, but I will give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley24
I recently purchased memory for my 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 from memoryupgrade.com. I attempted to install 2 1GB memory sticks this morning in addition to the 2 156 MB memory sticks that came standard with the machine. After installation, the computer will not reboot. Instead it blinks twice indicating that there is no RAM installed.
Ok, let's back up a bit...What computer do you have, is this a single 1.8 processor PowerMac G5, a dual processor? or an iMac G5 with 1.8

How many ram slots do you have? Are they all together or in 2 banks?

And where did you get 156 meg ram chips??? Are you sure they aren't 2 128 meg chips or 2 256 meg chips?

If the ram slots are in 2 banks then insert the ram thus:

Slot 4
Slot 3
Slot 2 256 meg chip
Slot 1 1 gig chip

Slot 1 1 gig chip
Slot 2 256 meg chip
Slot 3
Slot 4

If it still won't boot, then take the 2 i gig chips out and put the originals in slot 1 on both banks, it could be the chips you got are just not compatable with the Mac. They are pc3200 400 mhz chips aren't they? What brand of chips are they?

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
ashley24

James,
The machine is a 1.8 GHz Dual Processor PowerMac G5. Yes, my mistake on the ram that came installed, you are correct 2 128 MB sticks.

There are four ram slots, in two banks. Unfortunately, I am out of the office for the day. I believe they are pc3200 400 mhz chips, but I am unsure without looking at them directly. The fit directly into the slots without too much hassle. They are chips from upgradememory.com. I'm guessing that most likely I purchased cheap chips and will need to return them and up to a better quality chip.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning, thank you!
Any suggestion of memory chip brands?
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

corsair is very reliable, and inexpensive. you can get it from newegg.com the powermac is insanely pickey, i went through 6 sticks of cheap ram, it didnt recognize any of it. crucial.com is good too, but pricey. good luck
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley24
James,
The machine is a 1.8 GHz Dual Processor PowerMac G5. Yes, my mistake on the ram that came installed, you are correct 2 128 MB sticks.

There are four ram slots, in two banks. Unfortunately, I am out of the office for the day. I believe they are pc3200 400 mhz chips, but I am unsure without looking at them directly. The fit directly into the slots without too much hassle. They are chips from upgradememory.com. I'm guessing that most likely I purchased cheap chips and will need to return them and up to a better quality chip.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning, thank you!
Any suggestion of memory chip brands?
The problem is more than likely incompatable ram chips, but the part that worries me is you said it would not boot with the old chips either... Did you have the old chips in the #1 slots when you tried them? If they are and it still won't boot, that could be something else. Anyway, try installing all the chips according to the diagram i gave and if it doesn't boot pull the new chips and put the old ones in the #1 slots and try again. If that still doesn't boot then we have other problems.

As far as ram chips, i am a big fan of Corsair. I have used their chips in my last 4 or 5 computers with no problems at all. NewEgg has a good buy on Corsair 1 gig chips that work fine in the PM. Crucial and Kingston are also good chips.

Good luck let us know what happens.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cool external drive for your mini | RAM vs. VRAM? »