New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini and Display Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TangoCharlie

TangoCharlie is on a distinguished road

Hi, I decided to go for it and get a Mac Mini. i already had a flat screen monitor and a mouse so, why not?!!

Apple were fantastic and sent it within two days! Plugged it all in but...

Apple's graphics and text appear slightly blurred! Now I don't mean awful but just enough to give me a head ache and then start wanting to use my MS laptop! I.e My Text on this post looks more grey than black (on this Mac.)

I have tried every concevable option from changing the screen size, letter smoothing refresh rate, brightness, contrast and phase (on monitor) even moving my monitor higher where it appears slightly better. All options don't improve it!

Again Apple have been great, they are sending me a new Mac Mini to try.

The monitor works fine with my Compaq laptop.

I'm wondering if it's just Apple's text and graphics or could it be the monitor (although that is fine with my MS laptop).

The text and graphics are just not sharp. I can't increase my brightness on my monitor very much, could it be down to that?

Please help cos right now being an Mac Man means I walk around with blurry eyes and a head-ache!

Tc

:blind:
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Are you running the monitor at the same resolution when you plug it into your laptop as you do when you plug it into the mini? If you aren't running at the monitors native resolution it will look like crap.

Also go to Preference > Appearance > Then Change the Font smoothing style, you might find one that looks better, I use Medium on my LCD.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

did you go into system prefrences>displays and make sure that everything is set up correctly? unless i missed something it sounds like you only made changes that are on your monitor. make sure your resolution is correct and adjust the colors as well

--chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

Thanks guys but, yes, i tried those.

The non-smoothing helps on some text but not on, this this text, for example.

Can you tell me..the text on this post, should it be black becuse mine looks a kind of bluey grey (any a tad blurry)?

If I look at my monitor for a lower position it looks a bit better, more defined shading. I have basically stuck my monitor on the Mac Mini box and elavated it where it looks a little better.

Could it be the Mac Mini?

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Have you tried calibrating the display via OS X? You should be able to adjust gamma and white point to make it more "PC-like" in appearance.

However, the text on Mac-Forums is grey on my machine, as well as on my brother's PC.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

What is the brand of your monitor, it might be an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

Not a flat panel expert - but most of the time this type of problem is a analog - digital conversion issue between the monitor and the video HW and or video drivers --- bottom line is some older / cheaper flat panels have a sweet spot ( resolution and refresh rate) and if your PC - mac or what ever can't hit that --- things look like crap

Bottom line here for your is that most likley the flat panel you have is not compatible with the mac-mini --- this may be especially true since the mini's native output is pure digital not vga which is probably what your PC is putting out.

The other ultimate test is to hook up your mini to a decent monitor --- if the display is crisp -- you've got resolution / sweet spot issues between your flat panel and the mini

I've got a new Samsung SyncMaster 730n 17" that runs and looks awesome on my mini -- running DVI. $299 with rebate at Best Buy

In my previous life at Intel I led a team building the very first DVI ready PC motherboards as the DVI spec was being written -- once we got everything working - with DVI prototype monitors -- I can recall people just coming by and staring at the screens (for a long time) just blown away by how they looked
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

mod note: changed thread title

Please read the Forum Courtesy Rules before posting another thread.

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie
Can you tell me..the text on this post, should it be black becuse mine looks a kind of bluey grey (any a tad blurry)?
Yes, the text is supposed to be grey (#555555 to be precise). The text in the hover over for reputation is black (#000000) if you want to see what black text looks like on your display.
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

One more comment on the flat panel "sweet spot" issue is that if the flat panel in question is able to display a picture "ok" but text in on desttop icons - menus looks like crap --- again you are fighting a "conversion" issue between the flat panel and the computer
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Puke
One more comment on the flat panel "sweet spot" issue is that if the flat panel in question is able to display a picture "ok" but text in on desttop icons - menus looks like crap --- again you are fighting a "conversion" issue between the flat panel and the computer
You maybe right there. My flat screen is at least 5 years old and is going through a converter. A refresh rate of 75 Hertz looks awful, I have to set it to 60 or 67Hz.

Anyone know of a cheap monitor that has a digital input fit for the Mac Mini? Someone told me there was a brand available for about 140 but he forgot the brand name.

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

TC

Most any "newer" monitor should handle the mac out put as they have really perfected the sync and refresh stuff -- you might buy a used or floor demo "newer" monitor for the short term while you save up for a newer flat panel -- I say newer because the OS does go out and "talk" to the monitor (thru the vga or dvi cable) or flat panel during boot up to determine manuacturer and capability --- and these newer (2-3yrs old) devices are typically included in the builtin drivers sections of OS's.

good luck -- you might try www.zdnet.com and look at the editors picks for monitors
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

...Thanx, I got myself a 17" VideoSeven monitor for a measly 150. Whilst it is infinatly brighter, the focas still isnt spot on. Maybe its just the Mac style. I'm sort of getting used to it.

BTW...It is a recognised problem forthe Mac Mini and monitors appearing far too dim. Apple are aware. Some folks think its the AVI adaptor, some the power supply.
Check this out...
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000760034794

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

What kind of connection is there btwn your mini and your TV?

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
What kind of connection is there btwn your mini and your TV?
Tv?

My monotior uses the coverter block that Apple give with the Mini. I've heard it's pretty crap so have ordered a conversion lead that they use with another model. Tht may help.

Tc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running a Mac Pro without a PCIE Fan? | Wireless Keyboard and Emulators »