New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Home video editing: is iMac good enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrunchJM

CrunchJM is on a distinguished road

Hi - I'm in the market for my first Mac in about 10 years. I haven't kept up on what's going on in the Mac world.

Are the new iMac's powerful enough to edit and produce home video? I'm talking about my digital video, not making anything professional.

Or do I need to spend [gasp] $3200 on a Mac Pro.

I just don't want more computer than I need (not a gamer), but I also don't want to have a video editing machine that can barely do the job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The iMacs are more than capable for home video. My brother started with iMovie, moved up to Final Cut Express, and now dabbles on Final Cut Pro, all on an iMac. He just upgraded to a new 27" iMac and has pretty nice HD equipment.

You'll be fine with an iMac.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
JYork23

JYork23 is on a distinguished road

I know I'm a little late in the reply, but I'm a professional editor and I edit both 1080 and 720 HD video as well as standard def video on a regular basis. The only Mac I've owned is a late 06 iMac which handles the workflow just fine. I don't accomplish things as quickly as other people might, but my deadlines are usually measured in days, not hours anyway.

My only suggestion would be make sure that the system has at least 4G of RAM (for most systems from Apple these days, that's the minimum they offer anyway) and have lots of external storage.

The Mac Pros are really great, but way more machine than you will need.
QUOTE Thanks
code54

code54 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Alum. Mac book 13", MacBook Pro 15"

Should not be a problem at all. All the macs are fine for home use video editing. Some just take a little longer than others but that is the beauty of non paid work, time is not nearly as important (when it is not money :-)
QUOTE Thanks
tink

tink is on a distinguished road

I just bought the new MC413x/a . I am downloading my first DV recording. I told the guy in the shop I wanted to edit 3 cams into one and he said yes it could do it.
im now seeing that I may need final cut express or pro
can I edit 3 cams into one with this machine?
its a dance concert and I do need the 3 cams.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

The iMacs are completely capable of producing home videos, especially if it's the new quad core iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

quad core iMac's are beast.. you can do whatever whenever on them.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I edit HD content on a white MacBook with 4GB RAM just fine. You should be OK.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
vitaopus

vitaopus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" 2.88 Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2TB HD, 512 ATI Raedon

Mac's are great for professional even!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 27inch memory upgrade | Problems with middle click with magic mouse »