New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac G5 Power Supply

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

reyesnation

reyesnation is on a distinguished road

Hey guys n gals;

My basement flooded last week and rose about a quarter inch into my Power Mac G5, only wetting my Power Supply. So i opened it up and saw the model of the power supply Apple P/N: 614-0384 1000w MAX. However, when I search for it online, it is advertised as a power supply for Quad processors, which range from $200-300 bucks! Ouch!

My Mac is a Dual 2.0ghz. Do I really need this expensive power supply? I saw others of about 400w to 600w for cheaper. Would these be compatible with my Mac? But one thing I did notice was that my current, and dead, power supply has these chrome "conductors" that connect into the motherboard which I only see in the 1000w power supply.

So... What do you guys think?

Uriel Reyes
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesnation View Post
My Mac is a Dual 2.0ghz. Do I really need this expensive power supply? I saw others of about 400w to 600w for cheaper. Would these be compatible with my Mac?

So... What do you guys think?
Insert some links...and we will let you know.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

that model will be fine with a G5 710W power supply
they are still available & are about half the price of the kilowatt unit
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

The 1000w supplies were also used on dual 2.0 and 2.3ghz G5s.
600 watts is also works for G5s with 1.8-2.7ghz models .
Is your model a dual core or dual processor?
If it's a Dual Processor, you can use a 600watt supply.
If it's a Dual Core, the minimum you can use is the 710watt supply.

I wouldn't go low on wattage though. As you might know, the more wattage you have available, the more connections you can plug into the G5.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The part number you have quoted is from a late 2005 Dual Core G5 which did come in the 2GHz Dual Core as idrinorbarsaku points out. If your machine is the Dual Core suggest that part number and price are both correct.

Dual Cores have DDR2 memory and PCI-E graphic cards.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse click menu issue | Removing hard drive »