New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - eMac video playback problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kris.rhys

kris.rhys is on a distinguished road

Tryed watching BBC IPlayer tonight and the video playback is shocking it's the same with youtube and any type of video playback. Is there anything i can do to make this better ?

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Not really as the eMac is locked into the GPU, probably ATI Radeon 9000 depending on your eMac specs.
QUOTE Thanks
kris.rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Not really as the eMac is locked into the GPU, probably ATI Radeon 9000 depending on your eMac specs.
Thats a shame, my 5 year old windows laptop can run youtube with out a problem cant belive my emac cant cope with that

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Kris - you posted about a different eMac issue, the noise from the screen. I checked back to that, and can't find any reference to which model of eMac you have. Can we have those specs please. If it's an earlier eMac, and you've loaded Leopard on to it, it's going to struggle, both with processor speed and graphics card. We'll know better once we know more about your eMac.

Incidentally, in case you're not aware, you can get the eMac specs from the menu bar >blue apple > about this Mac. Or use System Profiler.

Edit: are you in the UK?
QUOTE Thanks
kris.rhys

sorry it's a 1GHz G4 2GB of ddr ram 160gb hard drive os x 10.5.8

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.rhys View Post
1GHz G4 2GB of ddr ram 160gb hard drive os x 10.5.8
Okay, that should handle YouTube without trouble. I can't test or comment on iPlayer because I'm not in the UK.

It suggests to me that there is a problem either with the graphics card or the monitor.

I recommend that you run a hardware test of your eMac, booting with the Install & Restore Disk 1 (if you have it). Otherwise, run a hardware check as far as it will go using Disk Utility (in Applications).

Lastly, make sure you have the appropriate Flash player version. I say 'appropriate' because sometimes the latest version is not the best.
QUOTE Thanks
kris.rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Okay, that should handle YouTube without trouble. I can't test or comment on iPlayer because I'm not in the UK.

It suggests to me that there is a problem either with the graphics card or the monitor.

I recommend that you run a hardware test of your eMac, booting with the Install & Restore Disk 1 (if you have it). Otherwise, run a hardware check as far as it will go using Disk Utility (in Applications).

Lastly, make sure you have the appropriate Flash player version. I say 'appropriate' because sometimes the latest version is not the best.
Thank you i will try all that and see what happens

Kris
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

If you do not have Apple Hardware Test, go to this link and download the eMac version. Drag the .dmg file to the left hand column of Disk utility , pop in a fresh CD and hit burn. You will be able to boot fromn the disc by placing it in the drive, rebooting and holding dopwn 'C" immediately after the chime.

Apple Hardware Test Images
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac G5 or new imac 2.66GHz intel core 2 duo? | Remote access concerns »