New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Some questions about converting to a RAID setup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheBigBB

TheBigBB is on a distinguished road

If I set up a RAID with SAS drives, how would I go about moving my files to the SAS drives from regular SATA ones? I had read that you can't have SAS drives working in unison with SATA. Is this just referring to the fact that you can't set them up in the same RAID together? Could I have 2 SATA and 2 SAS drives separately on two different RAID configurations? Also, I can't seem to find any info on if Macs have issues with some third party SAS drives. Apple is only selling the one brand, but of course that's no indication of anything.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Ok, here goes...

Easiest/cheapest option, buy an external SATA HDD caddy, put your old drives in there and using the USB/FW connection you can access and transfer the contents over. Assuming these are not in a RAID array... In that event you will need to transfer the contents to an external hard drive.

Using SAS drives, you will need the Apple RAID card - as I'm sure you know anyway. You can't have SAS and SATA drives connected at the same time, its one or the other.

So long as the connectors are in the normal places, then yes any drive will work fine. Apple put a huge tax on their drives so you'll find cheaper elsewhere. If in doubt, ask the e/re-tailer selling the drive.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac wont start | Most basic iMac with 4gb RAM, running Oblivion? »