New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Is my iMac dead?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

banjoatte

banjoatte is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, Imac g3 spec edition

Yesterday when i started my Imac G3 (summer 2001 edition OS 10.5.3) there first was the pizzawheel spinning and spinning. I restarted the computer and there was the flashing question mark.
Lost harddisck i thouht and tried to boot it up from installationdisc. Starting up with c key depressed. But the only result was a round arrow to the left and a right arrow to the right.
No prompt commandos seem to work.
I have tried to go to T modea and use firewireback but no reaction .
I have zapped the pram via open firmware no reaction. I have installed a fresh pram battery. No result.
What´s wrong? Is it dead.
Help
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Dur... 10.5.3 on that machine is just a bad idea. lol
QUOTE Thanks
pokeman89

pokeman89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoatte View Post
Yesterday when i started my Imac G3 (summer 2001 edition OS 10.5.3) there first was the pizzawheel spinning and spinning. I restarted the computer and there was the flashing question mark.
Lost harddisck i thouht and tried to boot it up from installationdisc. Starting up with c key depressed. But the only result was a round arrow to the left and a right arrow to the right.
I have zapped the pram via open firmware no reaction. I have installed a fresh pram battery. No result.
Help
dude, how long have you had 10.5 installed, that should not even be possible. Leopard requires at least an 867MHz G4, and based on my experience with my power mac, 867 might be a long shot (I've got dual 867 and it only just runs smoothly) Try loading from a Tiger or earlier OS disk and see what happens, those support G3 processors officially.

I dumped my iPod touch for a Samsung Galaxy S phone. I like my expandable memory and flash support
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Flashing "?" means you got System Folder / OS issues.

OS 10.5.x is not really meant to be run on a G3 iMac...I wouldn't run anything higher that 10.4.11.

I would recommend doing a fresh OS install of some sort, nothing newer than 10.4.11.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoatte View Post
Help
I agree with the others that 10.5 on that hardware is not a good idea. But that is not the issue here.

It really sounds like your hard drive died to me.

You hold down C at boot and get that menu? That menu if is brought up holding down OPTION at boot. Are you using an Apple keyboard?

The first thing here is to get the machine to boot from the OSX CD/DVD and run Disk Utility and see if the drive is shot or even shows up at all. That blank menu with the arrows tells me that drive is dead.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 unplugged during sleep mode | Where is the Love? »