New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - My "new" iMac G4!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mgill3

mgill3 is on a distinguished road

After a long, dark period of being stuck with a Windows PC as my only computer, for the past couple of years... I've finally purchased another Mac!

I've had several Mac's, but due to hard times, I ended up having to sell them...
(Long story short, I was a Windows user until I started using Mac's in 2003, but lately have been stuck with a Windows PC)

UPS is scheduled to deliver my "new" iMac G4 tomorrow.

Specs:

iMac G4 17-inch
1.25GHz PowerPC G4
512MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
4x SuperDrive
Original Pro Keyboard & Mouse
Mac OS X Tiger Preinstalled

I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 2GB and upgrade the hard drive to something bigger. I will also likely replace the SuperDrive with a new one, since they're so cheap and so much faster.

I've always loved OS X Tiger, and feel a little hesitant to upgrade to Leopard, being that I haven't even really used it yet... although from what I read, Leopard will be a worthy upgrade on a 1.25 G4, and from what I understand, it should run just as well, if not better.

Anybody who's running Leopard on a 1.25 iMac, please feel free to chime in. Also, anybody running iLife '06 on Leopard? How's everything run?

Thanks!
And I'm glad to be back in the Mac community!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Welcome on board - now i would be chasing iLife 08 /iWork 08 on Tiger rather than iLife 06 on Leopard, but then like everything it depends on how you plan on using it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Lucky! I want an iMac G4 just because they look so cool. Once I have enough spare funds I'm going to get myself one off eBay.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Unfortunately these days they are only really good for their looks. I still have one around for nostalgia, and even light web browsing on it is painful. Forget anything with Flash content.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I have leopard running on a 1.25GHz eMac with 512MB. The system runs great. Web browsing and email is fine... as stated above... flash content on any machine now is just sad. Even in the new notebooks it will own your CPU and heat that sucker up. On the older ones, it doesn't work out so well. But for all other purposes, it's a good machine. My dad runs a g4 iMac in his office at SUNY Oswego. Though they're buying him a new iMac soon. I'm jealous of that. I want a new iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook -> PowerMac G5 or Mac Mini | upgrade or not »