New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - should I upgrade my G5 or get a new computer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gnarbus

gnarbus is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a G5 tower computer running OS X10.3.9 that is starting to slow down and since I'm running Panther I can't use a lot of the newer software including uploading itunes music to my ipod. I was thinking of upgrading to Tiger and upgrading the RAM and HDD but that idea was shot down by the expense/unavailability of the OS. I'm trying to decide if it is relevant to shell out $600 dollars to upgrade or go with a new cheaper comp, like the mac mini or something to that effect. Also, when trading in used Macs at a MacStore, how much credit would I actually get towards a new comp?

specs:

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 PowerPC 970
512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarbus View Post
Hello, I have a G5 tower computer running OS X10.3.9 that is starting to slow down and since I'm running Panther I can't use a lot of the newer software including uploading itunes music to my ipod. I was thinking of upgrading to Tiger and upgrading the RAM and HDD but that idea was shot down by the expense/unavailability of the OS. I'm trying to decide if it is relevant to shell out $600 dollars to upgrade or go with a new cheaper comp, like the mac mini or something to that effect. Also, when trading in used Macs at a MacStore, how much credit would I actually get towards a new comp?

specs:

512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9
I don't know how much you will get but I have seen numbers on the forums that show that, incredibly, a new Mac Mini will Brutally out preform the fastest G5,the Quad core 2.5GHz model made in its last year.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarbus View Post

specs:

512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9
When I got my G5 this was what about this mac read:

You could totally put Leopard on that machine (as I did with mine 2 days before I killed my logic board) and it would run fine. Up the RAM to a gig and a half. Could keep your HDD for a while unless it's failing. And it would not cost you that much. Leopard would probably run you 100 bucks, but should be dropping in price...

I can't believe you're still running panther. I loved that OS, but Tiger pretty much made it better ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PRAM Batteries | iMac G3 display trouble »