New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - old graphite iMac DV - dvd drive problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greboguru

greboguru is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

My OSX install disc is currenly living in the DVD drive of my old graphite iMac DV.

I was planning on reformatting the hard disk of the ol' iMac, so I told it to boot off the OSX DVD. Verrrrry stupid, I think. Such an old machine cannot be run by the system software on an OSX 10.5 disc, can it?

When it starts up, it gets to the white screen with the spinning gear. I can hear the machine reading the disc, but the startup process never finishes.

I've tried restarting while holding down the mouse button. I've tried restarting while holding down Shift + Option + Command + Delete. No luck.

Anyone have any advice on how I can get my old iMac DV to spit out my OSX disc?

Thanks!

- Grebo
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Mac OS 10.5 is for Macs with a 867mhz G4 processor and faster.

Your iMac has either a 400mhz or 600mhz G3 processor. I'm not sure if that's the reason why your DVD is stuck in the drive or not...I guess it's always possible.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
greboguru

greboguru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Mac OS 10.5 is for Macs with a 867mhz G4 processor and faster.
Thanks Nick. I realize that now. That's why I said what I did was stupid. My question is: how do I get the dvd out of my iMac?

Grebo
QUOTE Thanks
Inno

Inno is on a distinguished road

It's been many a year since I had my DV, but I am pretty sure, like all drives, there is a pin hole that you can stick the end of a paper clip into to do a manual eject.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

See above.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inno View Post
It's been many a year since I had my DV, but I am pretty sure, like all drives, there is a pin hole that you can stick the end of a paper clip into to do a manual eject.
The hole is in the right side of the slot in the fuzzy stuff. Its a small button back there and the machine must be on to work.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And just straighten out a paper clip which is the right size, slip it in as described with the iMac off and disconnected and the disc should pop out. A bit of trial and error will see you right.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The Tray load is mechanical. I think the Slot load is electric. Its been some time that I had to do it. Im shure the machine was on. Theres a servo button back there to trigger the eject.
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

You can also press and hold the option key as the iMac boots to select the startup volume...good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac pro TOSLINK light not working? | Mac G4 »