Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    G5 sounds like Darth Vader breathing, not starting
    what is happening? Why does it sound like Anakin Skywalker's mechanical breathing apparatus?

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    More info please. The Star War's references are "colorful" but not necessarily helpful.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    More info please. The Star War's references are "colorful" but not necessarily helpful.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    glad you appreciate it, Nick. What info can I provide to be helpful? I just tried replacing the hard drive with a new one, put the install disc in the dvd drive, and still nothing.

    Powermac desktop G5 2GHz, dual, motorola chip, running tiger 10.4.11 (I think, can't access info cuz puter is now non-functional)

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
    glad you appreciate it, Nick. What info can I provide to be helpful? I just tried replacing the hard drive with a new one, put the install disc in the dvd drive, and still nothing.

    Powermac desktop G5 2GHz, dual, motorola chip, running tiger 10.4.11 (I think, can't access info cuz puter is now non-functional)
    Thanks for the additional info...in the title of this thread you mentioned "Not Starting"...this could mean any number of things, including "Not Starting"...which would mean not doing anything when you press the power button. DOA, dead, nada, nothing...that really does not sound like the case here.

    It's good to know what computer model you have & what OS you were or are running as well.

    But...are you sure it's running 10.4.11...I would think you would have known this before the problems started.

    So what is it exactly is going on:

    - was this computer working properly recently?
    - is this replaced hard drive the only hard drive in the computer?
    - if you replaced the hard drive, and the new one is the only HD in the G5...then you would have not any OS currently on the computer...so it then would not matter about the OS version.
    - did you just purchase the computer, and thus it is new to you?
    - any particular reason why you were replacing the hard drive?
    - what DVD/CD disk were you putting into the optical drive?
    - what is the deal or what exactly do you mean by the statements "Sounds like Darth Vader breathing or Anakin Skywalker's mechanical breathing apparatus"?...what is it doing?

    As you can see...there's a lot of info that is needed to help understand what exactly is going on with your computer...and what exactly you're trying to do or have done to get it to run.

    - Nick

    p.s. BTW...you asked this question in another thread, "what does the logic board do and how do I know if my computer has a bad/dead one?"

    Are we talking about the same G5 computer that you replaced the hard drive in? Why would you think you have a bad logic board?...according to the above statement you don't even know what a logic board is!!!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks for the additional info...in the title of this thread you mentioned "Not Starting"...this could mean any number of things, including "Not Starting"...which would mean not doing anything when you press the power button. DOA, dead, nada, nothing...that really does not sound like the case here.

    It's good to know what computer model you have & what OS you were or are running as well.

    But...are you sure it's running 10.4.11...I would think you would have known this before the problems started.

    So what is it exactly is going on:

    - was this computer working properly recently?
    yes, it was running thursday evening, I went to wake it up and it failed to respond. subsequent attempts to reboot only resulted in the 'breathing' sound

    - is this replaced hard drive the only hard drive in the computer?
    yes

    - if you replaced the hard drive, and the new one is the only HD in the G5...then you would have not any OS currently on the computer...so it then would not matter about the OS version.
    good point, thanks.

    - did you just purchase the computer, and thus it is new to you?
    negative, have owned and used this computer since august of 2005

    - any particular reason why you were replacing the hard drive?
    yes. When I brought to a macedge store in town (which closed one week after I got my computer back, nearest one is now one hour away) for a problem that turned out to be a corrupted font file of all things, the tech told me my hard drive was making a high pitched beeping noise, like a heart monitor and that it was likely to fail. That was one month ago.

    - what DVD/CD disk were you putting into the optical drive?
    The original OSX Tiger install disk that came with the computer new

    - what is the deal or what exactly do you mean by the statements "Sounds like Darth Vader breathing or Anakin Skywalker's mechanical breathing apparatus"?...what is it doing?
    It is a rhythmic noise that sounds like a windy kind of noise, that I thought might have been a hard drive or a fan spooling up and down in speed. I don't know what the bleep it is doing, hence my asking to see if anybody else had experienced it. It sounds like something breathing in a slow and labored fashion.
    As you can see...there's a lot of info that is needed to help understand what exactly is going on with your computer...and what exactly you're trying to do or have done to get it to run.

    - Nick

    p.s. BTW...you asked this question in another thread, "what does the logic board do and how do I know if my computer has a bad/dead one?"

    Are we talking about the same G5 computer that you replaced the hard drive in? Why would you think you have a bad logic board?...according to the above statement you don't even know what a logic board is!!!

    from some searching on the internet today, I read that logic boards (and power supplies) were known to fail on Macs. I'm trying to find out what its function is so I can try to figure out if it could be the culprit. It is part of my process of self-education. By replacing my hard drive, and still not being able to get the computer to boot up, I've pretty much eliminated the hard drive as the culprit. Now I have to look further.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    hopefully I've clarified it, but just to answer your question in the other thread. No, I do not have a stone dead computer. To me, dead would be absolutely nothing happens at all when you try to power it up, no lights, no fans, no noise, period.

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Ok, thanks again. It's great to have a bunch of background info.

    So if I understand things correctly:

    - your G5 was working fine until last Thursday.
    - you replaced the one and only hard drive in it with a new one.
    - you inserted the grey/silver colored DVD that came with the computer

    Some additional questions:

    - I think the only thing I'm not 100% clear about...what happened when you inserted the install DVD/CD that came with the computer...anything or just a blank white or grey screen?

    - Just checking so I know...are you 100% sure you got the correct hard drive for this computer?...it should be an SATA (Serial ATA) drive.

    - Apple released 4 different models of the Powermac G5 2 ghz. It may or may not be important later...but do you know if it was a dual-processor or a dual-core G5 (there is a difference)?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ok, thanks again. It's great to have a bunch of background info.

    So if I understand things correctly:

    - your G5 was working fine until last Thursday.
    - you replaced the one and only hard drive in it with a new one.
    - you inserted the grey/silver colored DVD that came with the computer

    Some additional questions:

    - I think the only thing I'm not 100% clear about...what happened when you inserted the install DVD/CD that came with the computer...anything or just a blank white or grey screen?
    actually, nothing at all is showing on the screen, it is not lit up at all, only the power indicator light.
    - Just checking so I know...are you 100% sure you got the correct hard drive for this computer?...it should be an SATA (Serial ATA) drive.
    absolutely, positively sure of the hard drive (think of the chick from 'My Cousin Vinny' in the court house scene on the witness stand )

    - Apple released 4 different models of the Powermac G5 2 ghz. It may or may not be important later...but do you know if it was a dual-processor or a dual-core G5 (there is a difference)?

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    dual processor, not dual core.

    appreciate the help, nick

    thanks,

    dan

  9. #9

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Ok. Thanks again for all the info.

    Well here's two things to try:

    - make sure that the video card it seated properly (since you're not getting any video)
    - you could try reinstalling the old hard drive to see if things at least return to the way they were last Thursday (also remove the new hard drive).

    I know that this drive is on it's "last legs", but if you reinstall it, it will at least let us know if everything on your computer is ok.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    I currently have the lithium battery from the logic board out, and am going to get a replacement. The description of the PMU sounds a lot like it controls what I'm having problems with, and if the battery is shot (likely, it is over 5 years old) I'm not putting it back in.

  11. #11

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
    I currently have the lithium battery from the logic board out, and am going to get a replacement. The description of the PMU sounds a lot like it controls what I'm having problems with, and if the battery is shot (likely, it is over 5 years old) I'm not putting it back in.
    Why didn't you mention this a long time ago! A bad or dead PRAM battery can in some cases cause exactly the problems you're having!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Why didn't you mention this a long time ago! A bad or dead PRAM battery can in some cases cause exactly the problems you're having!

    - Nick
    new battery did not help still won't boot up. I'm unplugging everything, going to let it sit for a half hour and then try again. getting pretty frustrated right now.

  13. #13

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
    new battery did not help still won't boot up. I'm unplugging everything, going to let it sit for a half hour and then try again. getting pretty frustrated right now.
    Sorry to hear that the new PRAM battery didn't solve things...but did you try what I mentioned previously about "reseating" the video card, and removing that new hard drive & installing the old one?

    Basically you want to "return" your G5 to the same configuration that it was in when it last worked.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Mar 25, 2008
    Posts
    121
    how do you reseat the video card?

  15. #15

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,720
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
    how do you reseat the video card?
    You remove it, and then put it back in.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. IPhone breathing down neck of Android in U.S.
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM
  2. iMac starting up -- drive sounds funny maybe?
    By Straitsfan in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
  3. Is it possible to add sounds to Leopard's system sounds?
    By nudolfan in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 08:13 AM
  4. F4/F5 no Sounds?
    By jdgti in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
  5. No Sounds!!!!
    By CarlConti08 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •