New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Should I get a dual core Mac pro or a single core version -- and Monitor question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dude232

dude232 is on a distinguished road

Dear Forum,

This is my first post and I couldn't find a related topic by simply browsing and searching the forum, so I am going to ask you guys.

I read this article:

Quad-Core and Eight-Core Mac Pros (2009 editions) Review | Desktop | Macworld

...which seemed to imply the extra CPU isn't worth the extra cash. What do you guys think? Which is the better deal?

ANOTHER question: I have a flat panel Dell monitor. Will the mac recognize this monitor?

Thanks,

Adam
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

My question for you is this: do you need every bit of CPU power that comes with a quad-core processor? My guess is that you likely don't. Unless you absolutely need 8 cores of processing power, go with the quad (which you also probably don't need). What are you planning to do with this Mac?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dude232

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
My question for you is this: do you need every bit of CPU power that comes with a quad-core processor? My guess is that you likely don't. Unless you absolutely need 8 cores of processing power, go with the quad (which you also probably don't need). What are you planning to do with this Mac?
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm buying the mac basically just to edit film in Final Cut Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
southchatham

southchatham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 macbook, 2009 mac mini

The article compares quad core vs 8 core. You're asking about single vs duel. You will notice better performance from single vs duel. Unless your NASA, Goldman Sachs, or Steven Spielberg probably not from quad to 8 core. Dell monitor should work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dude232

Quote:
Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
The article compares quad core vs 8 core. You're asking about single vs duel. You will notice better performance from single vs duel. Unless your NASA, Goldman Sachs, or Steven Spielberg probably not from quad to 8 core. Dell monitor should work fine.
Whoops on the article.

Thanks! I guess I'll go with that one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude232 View Post
Dear Forum,

This is my first post and I couldn't find a related topic by simply browsing and searching the forum, so I am going to ask you guys.

I read this article:

Quad-Core and Eight-Core Mac Pros (2009 editions) Review | Desktop | Macworld

...which seemed to imply the extra CPU isn't worth the extra cash. What do you guys think? Which is the better deal?

ANOTHER question: I have a flat panel Dell monitor. Will the mac recognize this monitor?

Thanks,

Adam
Well I wouldn't be the first person to want "more computer" than I need...so if your budget allows, get as much computer as you can afford. Mac Pros hold their value pretty well, and all that extra computing power will make the computer more useful for a longer time.

BUT...if you don't have a big budget, and don't want to spend anymore than necessary...are you sure you even need a Mac Pro? Would a higher end iMac get the job done? Your call!

BTW...the Dell monitor should work fine. But honestly if you're considering buying a $2500-$3300 Mac Pro...you REALLY shouldn't be worrying about if a "cheezy" dusty old $50 dollar Dell monitor will work with it!

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. If you really need a Mac Pro, you could consider purchasing a used one to save some bucks.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dude232

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Well I wouldn't be the first person to want "more computer" than I need...so if your budget allows, get as much computer as you can afford. Mac Pros hold their value pretty well, and all that extra computing power will make the computer more useful for a longer time.

BUT...if you don't have a big budget, and don't want to spend anymore than necessary...are you sure you even need a Mac Pro? Would a higher end iMac get the job done? Your call!

BTW...the Dell monitor should work fine. But honestly if you're considering buying a $2500-$3300 Mac Pro...you REALLY shouldn't be worrying about if a "cheezy" dusty old $50 dollar Dell monitor will work with it!

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. If you really need a Mac Pro, you could consider purchasing a used one to save some bucks.
Thanks!

First, it's not a cheesy $50 dell monitor. It's the biggest one that even fits into my desk.

Where could I find a used Mac Pro, ebay?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude232 View Post
Thanks!

First, it's not a cheesy $50 dell monitor. It's the biggest one that even fits into my desk.

Where could I find a used Mac Pro, ebay?

Thanks again.
Ok...it's not a "cheesy" Dell monitor if it's a BIG one!

Sure...for a used Mac Pro e-Bay's a good place to look...and occasionally Craig's List. Keep your eye open for refurbished deals on Apple.com as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quad Cores and OSX Snow Leopard | iMac G5 - start up problems »