New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - External HDD error - Trash problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

orangerunner

orangerunner is on a distinguished road

Hello all!

I am very worried regarding a trouble.

I have iMac, Leopard, intel. All runs well, no problem, no matter.

I have an external hard disk on which I keep very important data. I plug in USB the HDD and the iMac sees the HDD no problem.

I can read, I can write files on this external HDD. I use the Finder, it is all okay.

NOW...Many times I delete files on this external HDD. I use the Finder, move to trash etc.

But when I go to the iMac dock, the Trash icon, click right and empty trash, it appears a frozen message: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power..."

It is beyond my mind and knowledge. And my external HDD is 2TB, but now it appears as having no more than 1TB.

How to solve the problem?

Thank you very very much!

orangerunner
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you have another external hard drive, now would be a good time to transfer the data from the 2 TB drive before it fails completely. It sounds like your 2 TB drive is getting ready to quit.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Failing Hardrive Fan | Airport Extreme card for Imac G5 »