Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G5 went to sleep, never woke up
    I know, sounds like a good way to go, but not for a computer, I guess. Last night, my G5 would not wake up, lights were on, fan making sound, but no computer activity. I had to physically unplug computer to make it stop so I could restart. Now it won't reboot at all, screen stays black.

haven't changed anything on the computer. It had a conflict from corrupted files in a font library that was causing it to freeze a while back. I got it serviced, they backed up my files, and told me my hard drive was making a high pitched noise, like a heart monitor. could it be the hd finally took a dump?

i know you're going to ask for the usual profile of the machine information, it is in some old threads. i have to run out right now, can't look it up right now. wanted to get this thread started. thanks.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Sadly this could be the logic board, on which G5's are prone to failures.
    It could also be the HD, but if it were you'd be able to switch it on still, you'd normally just get a flashing folder.
    Try running disk utility form an install disc.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

i guess the next question is, how do i run disc utility from the start up disc if i do not have my drive drawer open?

i have this apple laptop i'm using to post this, i think there is a way to use this computer as a start up disc, but i am unfamiliar with the procedure.

Specs:
    MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
    i guess the next question is, how do i run disc utility from the start up disc if i do not have my drive drawer open?

i have this apple laptop i'm using to post this, i think there is a way to use this computer as a start up disc, but i am unfamiliar with the procedure.
    you could connect the hard drive from your G5 to your laptop, remove any files needed and reformat it. This might be an extreme, but in my opinion works the best when encountering problems (regardless of the operating system).

Good luck!

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You can force open the disc drawer by holding the mouse on start up, it should still open, even though you can't boot to the OS.
    You could also try Target Disc mode from the laptop to run Disk Uitility that way.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
    you could connect the hard drive from your G5 to your laptop, remove any files needed and reformat it. This might be an extreme, but in my opinion works the best when encountering problems (regardless of the operating system).

Good luck!
    is there any way to do that via usb or firewire cable? are you talking about physically removing hd from the G5 and connecting (how?) to the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    You can force open the disc drawer by holding the mouse on start up, it should still open, even though you can't boot to the OS.
    You could also try Target Disc mode from the laptop to run Disk Uitility that way.
    1)hold down the mouse while powering up the G5?

2) put system disc in laptop, then go to disc utility?

I wish i knew more about this stuff, so I guess this is my learning experience. thanks so much for everybody who is replying.

ok, just tried the holding down the mouse trick, and that did not work

Specs:
    ok, just tried the holding down the mouse trick, and that did not work
    Ok. So Target Disc Mode it is then.

Connect the iMac to your laptop via Firewire, and then start the iMac up while holding down the "T" key.
    This boots it into Target disc mode and you can then run Disk Utility from the laptop to see if the HD on the iMac shows up and can be repaired.

Ok. So Target Disc Mode it is then.

Connect the iMac to your laptop via Firewire, and then start the iMac up while holding down the "T" key.
    This boots it into Target disc mode and you can then run Disk Utility from the laptop to see if the HD on the iMac shows up and can be repaired.
    hold down the T key on the laptop or the G5?

Specs:
    The G5, sorry, put that and then edited it out - doh!

just got the tray open, wasn't pushing hard enough with the straightened out paper clip. Put the first install disc in and power up?

Specs:
    Yes, holding down "C". Then quit installer and go to Utilities to run the checks on the HD.

Yes, holding down "C". Then quit installer and go to Utilities to run the checks on the HD.
    held down "C", drawer closed, heard whirring for a while, then nothing happened, just weird rhythmic breathing sound

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Man, I paid 2500 for my dual 2GHz G5 tower... for computers that cost upward of 2 grand without an external monitor, those things are failing like mad now.

Thread Information