Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   High pitch noise (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/169759-high-pitch-noise.html)

kris.rhys 10-01-2009 10:10 AM

High pitch noise

Hi when i got home from work about 20 mins ago booted up the mac and there is a high pitch noise coming from inside it changes pitch every now and then and then goes away for a few mins :| any idea what it could be and how to fix it ? thanks in advance.

kris

Sur3Mac 10-01-2009 04:24 PM

Might be a dirty fan that caught a speck of dust.

You could, if you're able to, open her up and blow some compressed air through it, while holding the fan, in two or three short bursts.

Regards

kris.rhys 10-01-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sur3Mac (Post 917743)
Might be a dirty fan that caught a speck of dust.

You could, if you're able to, open her up and blow some compressed air through it, while holding the fan, in two or three short bursts.

Regards

It's not dust it was all cleaned out when i did all the upgrades less than a week ago, i've been told it's the crt on it's way out :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

harryb2448 10-01-2009 05:53 PM

Sounds like flyback problem and the CRT is on the way out. Have a look at this link which has some suggestions:-

Sometimes, my monitor will make a high-pitch sound that gives me a headache. How can I stop it? - Yahoo! Answers

mikekan 10-02-2009 03:51 AM

I would say its the screen of the emac! My LCD does sometimes a high pitch noise.

hughvane 10-04-2009 02:33 PM

It's almost certain to be the CRT display. My eMac too emits a high-pitched tone occasionally, which changes, or fades altogether, according to various display activity. I've simply learned to live with it, the display itself doesn't seem to be affected.

kris.rhys 10-04-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughvane (Post 919013)
It's almost certain to be the CRT display. My eMac too emits a high-pitched tone occasionally, which changes, or fades altogether, according to various display activity. I've simply learned to live with it, the display itself doesn't seem to be affected.

Sounds like we have the same problem as long as im not going to tuen it on one day and the screen is black..Dont think i could go back to windows (YUK)

hughvane 10-04-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris.rhys (Post 919088)
Sounds like we have the same problem as long as im not going to turn it on one day and the screen is black

You're more likely to see it going gradually. Remember too that you can run an external monitor off your eMac. It might pay to consider that option sooner rather than after the (possible) dreaded event.

I'm fortunate in that I know and deal with a guy near where I live who stores old Macs he gets very cheaply, free even, and strips them for parts. I can get a replacement CRT unit if needed, but so far (fingers and eyes crossed) this display keeps on keeping on. I shudder at the prospect of working inside an eMac to put in a replacement CRT display.

Quote:

Don't think i could go back to windows (YUK)
Never! Doesn't bear thinking about. ;D

kris.rhys 10-05-2009 02:41 PM

i hope it dont die

kris.rhys 10-08-2009 08:38 AM

After installing os x 10.5 the high pitch noise has stopped how strange

harryb2448 10-08-2009 05:11 PM

Different resolution?

kris.rhys 10-09-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 921415)
Different resolution?

No it's still 1280 x 960 at 72Hz

harryb2448 10-09-2009 05:30 PM

Sorry. From within the Leopard OS?

AppleInsider | Resolution independence in Leopard confirmed by Apple

kris.rhys 10-09-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 921944)

I don't know am just glad it's sorted (for-now);D

Chris H. 10-09-2009 09:55 PM

Well when the display (or the internal components, which ever comes first) goes out, you shouldn't have to go back to Windows- never!! Just find a used Mac and give it love. Or you could buy a new one. Craigslist is better than Ebay because you deal with sellers locally.

Adopt a Mac - Refurbished Apple Macintosh Computers, Upgrades, Accessories, Memory is another great place to find used Mac's, though, I'm now more skeptical about them now since I found a filed out serial number on the bottom of my Power Mac recently. They have a lot of G4, and on occasion G3 and G5 Power Mac's, unwanted eMac's and CRT iMac's. They also have the same PowerBook time after time, and old Apple hardware and software.